Menu

Right Start Math B and the abacus

Guest sylune13

Guest sylune13

Hi all,

My six year old and I are on track to finish right start B by mid may and I am struggling to decide if I should keep going with C or move to Singapore.  He has done great with the program until subtraction started and I realized that he is having trouble "going backwards" so I feel like we might have missed something.  Additionally, he HATES the abacus.  He never wants to use it and even though he did understand it in the beginning, it is almost like he doesn't now.

He also has ADHD combined type but mostly inattentive so this could be a working memory issue and might not have anything to do with the math program.  We used Singapore in K and by the time we got to the concrete stage, he was bored.  Now I am second guessing myself because of the trouble he is having with subtraction and the abacus.

What do ya'll think?

Rachel

Well, the abacus is a tool.  Once they grow past it and do it mentally, you don't need to use it.  Of course new topics tend to get introduced with the abacus again, and then you move past it again.  For instance in D we're using the abacus a bunch again for multiplication and division.  Does your son hate it because he does just fine doing it mentally?  If so, no problem.  If he's *not* doing it mentally, and refusing to use the abacus, that's more of an issue.

As far as having missed something, can you stop and play a bunch of the card games for a while?  That's the usual recommendation when you hit a wall.

Guest sylune13

You are right!  He is doing great with the mental math and doesn't need it to do any of the problems at this point.  Thank you for your insight; it is amazing to me how we as parents (or maybe just me) can overlook the most obvious conclusion.  

On the other note, I think we will play the games for a few days like you suggested and see if that helps make it click.

Rachel