Menu

Expository Writing and Science Curriculum

Does anyone know of a curriculum that teaches high school expository writing, but the topics are science based? Or a science curriculum that includes expository writing assignments that could be counted for English credit?

My dd13 will be doing a world history program (History Odyssey) this year that also gives a 1/2 credit for language arts. She'll be working on a research report, writing 4-level outlines, writing summaries about various people and events in history, writing some comparing and contrasting essays and doing an oral presentation (that's all in the first 1/4 of the class, so there's more). 

I love that she'll be getting this instruction and practice but she doesn't love history. She does enjoy science. So I'm realizing my mistake here and the pain I'll be inflicting on her (which translate into pain directed at me).  :glare:

The science class she's taking this year is an online class on equine science. There's no writing involved. I'm not about to tweak that curriculum to make it work (because that's more work than I want to take on). 

So I thought I'd ask. Even if it's something for next year. 

I don't know of a science curriculum with all the features you describe built in. Could you have her do 1 or 2 research papers on some aspect of Equine Science? That way she'd be practicing the writing skills on a topic she's interested in.

Can you tell me more about the online Equine Science class? That sounds like something my dd would be interested in.

Yes, I should probably tweak her science class. She can use the teachings in her history class and maybe not do all the writing assignments in the history curriculum but apply them to her science class. Sigh. You're right. I am just feeling overwhelmed with the start of the new school year looking at all the stuff we need to tackle! ;-)

Here's the class she'll be taking: http://allagonline.com/equine-sciences-i 

• Like 1