Menu

Another mom and I

Another friend of mine is a bit overwhelmed with homeschooling. She has a daughter around 12yrs. 6yrs old daughter, 4yrs old daughter and 1yrs old son. 

I have kids that you can see down in my signature. I am thinking of doing a coop with her. Mix my older kids with her 12yrs. One of us will teach the older kids and the other teach or hang with the younger kids. Would love another mom to join in for the babies. 

What would be a good 12yrs old coop curriculum? 

What would be a good early elementary/late preschool curriculum good with coops?

I have a friend and we swap older kids and younger kids; this is our second year. We live on the same street, so this makes it easy to swap.

The 11-8 year olds come to my house for 2 hours twice a week and we read and discuss history, science, Bible, and Shakespeare. I pick books to read aloud, read them aloud, then we talk about it and once every 6 weeks we play Jeopardy where they make up the questions and then quiz each other. I use Covenantal Catechism for Bible and my 5-step plan for Shakespeare, but no real curriculum - just read and narrate/discuss. 

This year we're reading 3 M.B. Synge titles and Guerber's The Story of the Great Republic for history, and The Mystery of the Periodic Table and a few of the books in the Story of Oxygen line. 

We do it while our 2-and-unders nap in the afternoon and the 4-6yos are at my friends' house. She reads picture books aloud to them and then they play blocks or kitchen or other open-ended play without the disturbance of the big kids and she makes sure they resolve disputes kindly. 

Next year we'll have to rethink it somewhat because we'll have 3 different groups of kids who need things rather than 2. But for now it's been great!