Menu

What grade level readers for AAR1 and 2?

BrandonMommy

I'm looking for more readers for my dd who is about to finish AAR1 and was wondering, what are the approximate reading levels after AAR1 and also while or after AAR2? I see some graded level readers on ebay I'm interested in but not sure which levels would be best for now or in the near future to have around.

Also, any other suggestions for good readers?

The levels actually don’t correlate to specific grades, because the order of the words in AAR is not “grade-level†order. As an example, here is a very simple online assessment. A child completing AAR 1 would be able to read most of the words on the 1st grade list, about half of the 2nd grade list, and a third of the words on the 3rd and 4th grade lists. There are even a couple of words on the 5th and 6th grade lists that they would have the skills to sound out, though they might not know their meaning yet. All About Reading groups words in a logical manner based on similar rules or patterns regardless of their supposed grade level, which allows students to progress quickly and confidently.

At the end of Level 4, students have the phonics and word attack skills necessary to sound out high school level words, though they may not know the meaning of all higher level words.(Word attack skills include things like dividing words into syllables, making analogies to other words, sounding out the word with the accent on different word parts, recognizing affixes, etc…)

Here are some readers that I know others have used with AAR 1 and 2, or after 2:

High Noon Books Sound Out Chapter Books

Christian Liberty Press has a set of 4 Phonics readers: It Is Fun To Read, Pals and Pets, A Time At Home, and It Is a Joy To Learn

Sonlight readers (Fun Tales and some Level 1 Readers with AAR 1).

My Father’s Dragon trilogy–mostly decodable, some mastered words, some new words they’ll need help with after AAR 2.

Now I’m Reading.

Bob Books

Fly Leaf, A Book to Remember has very nice pictures but can be expensive. You might check your library for these.

I See Sam readers

Fun Phonics might also be a possibility

HTH some, Merry :-)