Menu

TT style math that is not TT?

Dahliarw

I'm wondering if there are other math programs out there that use some sort of online or DVD lecture and then student does the work that is not TT? I know once my oldest hits pre-algebra and on I'm going to either need to get someone else to teach him math or have some sort of TT style math program. Plus, it would really help me (I really really really hate teaching math). But I'm concerned with some of the TT reviews about scoring low on college entrance tests, etc. Does anything else exist that is potentially better?

(and yes, my oldest is only in 2nd grade, and I have time, but I like to have an idea of where I'm heading in the future).

We use TabletClass and really like it. Prior to TabletClass we used MUS. But once in Pre-A we wanted something with greater scope which was also more in-depth. The only caveat with TabletClass is that it is more on the rigorous side compared to other programs. So this decision depends on your individual students and what you are looking for. Some will be stronger in math than others.

Derek Owens is another great option along with Jann in Texas. BJU also has a well regarded math program, though rigorous as well. AoPS is probably the most challenging with its discovery approach. But for the right student it can work very well. You can read the reviews of these programs on the forum.