Menu

What are your afterschooling/summer schooling plans

We continue on with our school-year curriculum but at a more relaxed pace and with certain focus areas. Ds 6 is focusing on handwriting and (ughh!) coming up with original sentences in preparation for his 1st grade class next year. I know he's not to the place she'll want him to be in his writing ability because dd had this teacher last year. Dd 7 is focusing on math facts practice.

Their public school doesn't require anything of them over the summer, but they're encouraged to keep a reading log with a carrot when they return in the fall. Of course they read their little heads off all the time, but the hard part is remembering to write it all down.

Our school has no requirements. We've tried various things in the beginning but here is what we have ended up on:

Read alouds at bedtime (to be honest, not happening often because of late evenings) -history related

Reading 30 minutes (their choice)

Math -Singapore 1-2 exercises per day and some timed math drills

Language Arts- LLATL

My son is also working in Wordsmith Apprentice and My DD is learning to Write the Novel Way but we don't do those every day. If they have composition in LLATL or write a letter, they can skip it.

Penmanship-A cursive sheet several times a week.

We are spending a good deal of time on life skills -chores and responsibility, cooking, knitting, animal care and on physical fitness -crunches, pushups, and swimming.

For DS, a rising first grader, we are focusing on phonics (weak area at his school, at least it was last year) and handwriting. On days where there is a lot of writing in the phonics book (ETC 2), we skip handwriting. I'm also doing RightStart Level B with him, although if something gets skipped, it's the math. I was having DD join in with him for math, but on recommendation of the RS rep, I am working with him on his own now so he can move a little faster. She'll start Level A in the fall when he goes to school. He works for about 1/2 hour in the mornings, then his "reward" is a bible story and coloring a related picture (R&S B book from the ABC preschool series).

After lunch, DS reads aloud for about 5-10 minutes (Phonics Pathways, Bob books, Dick and Jane, etc). We shoot for daily, but usually it's a few times a week.

I read aloud from a chapter book during the day, usually at least for 1/2 hour. The Ramona books have been a hit, and we just finished the first Boxcar Children book, which they loved. Plus reading whatever else they want. :)

For fun, among other things, we are playing lots of games. Parcheesi really has been a hit, so much so that DS (and DD!) has learned his math facts to 6+6. Coming home from vacation today, I popped SOTW 1 into the cd player, and DS was enthralled. We listened to the first 2 cds and would have continued to the third, but DD protested. But I know DS was paying attention because when the book got to the part about the mummification process, he blurted out, "Please don't let them do that to me!" LOL! We'll do some of the activities, too. The kids also like the Classical Kids music cds -- Bach is their favorite -- and I might look into the teacher guides.

I plan to continue with the same work for reading/writing/arithmetic after school starts, just at a slower pace (we are BEFORE-schoolers). Probably won't get to as much of the SOTW, we'll see. But for the next month, he is all mine! :001_smile: