Menu

SAT/ACT testing AFTER being accepted to college?

distancia

I have a question that someone may be able to answer. My D is starting to apply to colleges (as Fall deadlines are approaching) and she is having transcripts test scores, etc. sent to the colleges. She knows she will be accepted by at least a couple of schools, certainly by Thanksgiving.

She is having her SAT scores from last Fall 2009 sent. The math scores are good enough to get her into college but she wants them higher for three reasons:

1) So she can place into higher math

2) So she can be admitted to an Honors program

3) Go to the next level for state scholarships

If D is accepted by a uni in, say, November, and she takes the SAT/ACT after that date (December, January, etc) then will the uni consider those more recent test scores when placing her into math? Will she be asked into the Honors program with the (hopefully) higher math test scores raising her total test grade?

Or does it work that once the student is accepted, those ACT/SAT scores are considered "final" and whatever the scores are when the student applies is considered the final submission? If that is the case, then there would be no point in D taking the tests again if she is applying now, right?

Or can the student keep taking the SAT up until they (the student) graduates from high school? Or confirms the acceptance? Or registers as a student? Or when?

Just sign me, So Confused

Edited by distancia

For Bright Futures, you have to apply (it's not automatic) btwn Dec 1 & graduation Sr. Year. I'd time my application to the test time. Any other scholarships usually have an earlier-than-June cut off.

As to Honor's--they may have a cut-off date. Check w/the school or better yet, give them a call. For dd#1's school (private, Christian) you had to be accepted to the college before they even sent the Honors app. That way they had your ACT/SAT scores on file.

Thanks, K-FL. That is exactly the info I needed!

If my D graduates (that is, if I graduate her) this December then she will continue going to the local CC as a Freshman during the Spring 2011 , then attend the U in Fall 2011 as a Sophomore transfer...and with her CC GPA she will automatically be put into their Honors program, as all transfer students with a >3.5 college GPA are part of the Honors program. However, in order for her to qualify for the Honors program as a high school student (if I don't graduate her in December) and she continues for the Spring 2011 as a dual-enroll h/s student at the local CC, D will need to raise her SAT score by 60 points (hence, the re-take in December), because the Honors program bases admission for FTIC h/s students on the SAT score, not GPA.

By the way, we know one another from way back in the late 1980s. If you don't mind, I sent you a PM because I know you have been looking at schools in this neck of the woods and I had a bit of info for you.

Edited by distancia