Menu

Your thoughts on vocabulary instruction

SO, I had an idea last night and would like your opinion, but first, here's what we're currently doing.

Currently we are using Webster's Vocabulary builder. We complete a word root, then the vocab that goes with it, usually about 4 words. I introduce the root and the words, then dictate definitions to my rising 7-9th graders. Days 2 & 3 they write sentences I provide Day 4&5 they create original sentences. We test every 2 weeks and they use Quizlet for memorization and study. It's working fine.

Now, back to my idea. What if I gave them some ridiculously difficult sentences, from a really old book, and had them dissect the sentence, and replace the old words with some more familiar ones, essentially re-writing the sentences. Would this build vocab. skills?

Thanks for your input. If this is a terrible idea, feel free to say so. I am happy with what we're doing, I don't know what made me think of this, but I thought I'd put it out there. Thanks :)