Menu

Ecce Romani for high school latin

Guest Sandra in Maine

Guest Sandra in Maine

Hi,

My daughter Lydia started learning Latin in 4th grade - Latin Primer, which we did not like, and so we switched to Latina Christiana and completed I and II during the next 2 years; followed with Henle Latin I which took 2 years to complete. Next yr, she'll be in 9th grade and she does want to continue in Latin...along with Italian. Henle was difficult to get through - just an enormous amt of grammar to get through in what seemed like a relatively short time - we seemed to be always cramming, and it was difficult to really master and absorb so much information in so short a time.... Anyway - she got through it, and she really is awesome at learning the forms...but it is the readings she loves and enjoys most. I understand that Henle 2 is a good deal rvw of 1, plus new material, and it is usually completed in one year, that class usually designated high school Latin III. Along with other increased demands of highschool...we are dreading taking on Henle II.... So one plan we are considering is switching to Ecce Romani, probably 3rd edition (for financial reasons), and completing the whole set, levels 1-3, probably in less time than usual since she knows so much grammar already and has really great strength in grammar. I know she will love this course! She loves mythology, history, literature...I know she will thoroughly enjoy Ecce Romani...and it will really take the pressure off and give some extra energy and time for other challengng subjects (like biology, increasingly difficult math, etc...).

Any way, I am concerned that she will not learn enough grammar in ER. And, if she wants to continue even longer in Latin - what would she do next? Does this sequence even make sense? Or would it be a waste of time and a step backward for her to switch to ER at this point?

I think we really would like to switch to a reading type course...and ER or Cambridge are the 2 we are most seriously considering.

Lydia probably will not be a classics major - even though she loves Latin, and Greek...and history, mythology, archaeology, etc. She also loves learning languages...and that is something she may continue for many years. It's pretty clear though that most likely she will want to become an artist, pursuing art in college - since that has been her lifelong favorite interest (truly - since she was 6 mos old!).

Sorry for long involved post! I have read some awesomly helprul posts abt Latin on this forum...and I would very much appreciate any ideas anyone can offer. Thanks so much!

Sandra

Have you considered Lingua Latina? With her background, and if you buy the whole set (Text, Exercises & College Companion) you could get through it. I don't know if you are learning with her, but I'd recommend it. I believe LL is normally a 2 year course, and after that you can read Latin literature or there is a 2nd book.

I enjoy the reading approach and I love LL. I study with an online group on the LatinStudy list. If you get the CDs (there is one for the pens. and one for the exercises - letting you know b/c I ordered the wrong one) they are self-correcting.

HTH!

I used Ecce Romani with my older son who had no previous latin. Unless they have re-written the curriculum, I don't think it would be challenging at all for your dd.

There is an elist for folks who actually do Latin exercises for fun. Many of the members are Latin teachers or otherwise involved with Latin. They might be a resource for ideas where to go next. You can read more about it and subscribe at http://www.quasillum.com/study/latinstudy.php There are lots of Latin resources that have translation exercises which can be quite enjoyable. If you dd loves Latin (how I wish mine did!) she might enjoy working with one or more of these groups.

Linda

Guest Sandra in Maine

Hi - I want to thank everyone for helpful suggestions! I will look into Lingua Latina, and the elist. Thanks for saving us from choosing a curriculum that is too easy...guess we were just tuckered out from Henle and looking for something less demainding.

Thanks again!

Have you considered Lingua Latina? With her background, and if you buy the whole set (Text, Exercises & College Companion) you could get through it. I don't know if you are learning with her, but I'd recommend it. I believe LL is normally a 2 year course, and after that you can read Latin literature or there is a 2nd book.

I enjoy the reading approach and I love LL. I study with an online group on the LatinStudy list. If you get the CDs (there is one for the pens. and one for the exercises - letting you know b/c I ordered the wrong one) they are self-correcting.

HTH!

How is this going, learning LL with the LatinStudy list? Do you find the list to be very helpful?

How is this going, learning LL with the LatinStudy list? Do you find the list to be very helpful?

It is a huge help, #1 there is a deadline to keep me on track, and #2 I want to do a good job and not look like an idiot when our answers are compared. And the LatinStudy list (and the Oerburg list) are useful, they contain good information and experience people.

Amy