Menu

Another math thread....I need a sounding board

I wouldn't even be asking this question if DD13 didn't want to go into science so she needs a strong math background.

She's in chapt 6 of TT Algebra 1 and it's going well. She even enjoys the lectures. If she wanted to go into a Humanities field I'd be thrilled with TT.

I plan to either:

1) supplement TT with something else (ie: LOF) and move onto TT Algebra 2 so she'll get through quadratic equations (and we'll call it Algebra 1 on her transcript)

or 2) switch to Lial or Foerster Algebra. I'm ok with repeating some of what she's covered in TT Alg 1 at a more rigorous level. I'm considering these two choices because full solutions are available, they include real life examples (very important to DD) and many threads recommend them.

I'd like to stick with TT for this child because she likes it and is learning the material. I'm just not sure about supplementing? I really like the ease of open & go, just doing the next lesson in the book. Should I omit a few of her TT problems and add problems from another book each day? This makes me wonder if it would be easier to switch to another book that I wouldn't feel the need to supplement?

I'm considering this sequence.

8th Finish TT Algebra 1, get through at least Quad. Eq. in TT Alg 2.

summer - LOF Beg Algebra for review

9th TT Geometry

10th Foerster Algebra 2 w/ VPSA

11th Foerster Pre-Calc w/ VPSA

12th Calculus @ CC

Is LOF in the summer enough supplementing and not bother during the school year? Do you see any gaps? Will she be ill-prepared for Foerster in 10th grade?

You know what would solve this? TT needs to come out with an "Intensive Practice" book that corresponds with their lessons (like Singapore has).

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Edited by amtmcm

We have supplemented with the LoF books. DD kind of did Fred on her own, we didn't have a set schedule for it. Right now she's wanting to just work through TT.

I go with the opinion that if it's working, don't change it. I'd have your dd work through TT as quickly as she is able. I don't mean push her to hurry, but if she has a day where it goes well or is easy, do another assignment. Just keep moving. That's what we're doing with dd to get her through. She will be doing TT Algebra 1 and 2 for Algebra 1 credit also. Then probably TT Geometry. I'm not sure where we'll go after that. We'll see how long it takes us.

I already have LoF Geometry, so she'll use the TT and LoF for Geometry.

I wouldn't even be asking this question if DD13 didn't want to go into science so she needs a strong math background.

She's in chapt 6 of TT Algebra 1 and it's going well. She even enjoys the lectures. If she wanted to go into a Humanities field I'd be thrilled with TT.

I plan to either:

1) supplement TT with something else (ie: LOF) and move onto TT Algebra 2 so she'll get through quadratic equations (and we'll call it Algebra 1 on her transcript)

8th Finish TT Algebra 1, get through at least Quad. Eq. in TT Alg 2.

summer - LOF Beg Algebra for review

9th TT Geometry

10th Foerster Algebra 2 w/ VPSA

11th Foerster Pre-Calc w/ VPSA

12th Calculus @ CC

!

Similar to what I did. Son did TT Algebra I and most of II in 7th and 8th. I had him do Chalkdust Geometry which he flew through with no problems this year. (Finished last week) I plan to have him take Chalkdust Algebra II..well I actually got the combined course and plan to have him take the tests for the first couple of chapters until he gets below an A or feels like he doesn't know some of the material when he looks at each lesson. Then Chalkdust precalc and then... CC for Calculus maybe??? I mean to be honest, after Algebra II, I will be useless. I didn't understand Trig and never took Calculus.

Chritsine

I'd have your dd work through TT as quickly as she is able. I don't mean push her to hurry, but if she has a day where it goes well or is easy, do another assignment. Just keep moving.

Good advice. Thanks!

Similar to what I did. Son did TT Algebra I and most of II in 7th and 8th. I had him do Chalkdust Geometry which he flew through with no problems this year. (Finished last week) I plan to have him take Chalkdust Algebra II..well I actually got the combined course and plan to have him take the tests for the first couple of chapters until he gets below an A or feels like he doesn't know some of the material when he looks at each lesson. Then Chalkdust precalc and then... CC for Calculus maybe??? I mean to be honest, after Algebra II, I will be useless. I didn't understand Trig and never took Calculus.

This is reassuring! Thanks!

Elementary and Intermediate Algebra: A Combined Course by Larson 4th edition ISBN is 0-618-38836-2. I got a Hughton Mifflin Instructional DVD set with it: 9 of them ISBN 0-618-38841-9. It is produced by Chalkdust and has Dana Mosely. Since my younger boy is doing Alg I and my oldest is doing II after doing TT Algebra, it seemed like the best solution to me.

Christine

Elementary and Intermediate Algebra: A Combined Course by Larson 4th edition ISBN is 0-618-38836-2. I got a Hughton Mifflin Instructional DVD set with it: 9 of them ISBN 0-618-38841-9. It is produced by Chalkdust and has Dana Mosely. Since my younger boy is doing Alg I and my oldest is doing II after doing TT Algebra, it seemed like the best solution to me.

Christine

Thanks Christine!

So is the older just doing the Alg. 2 part, and the younger the Alg. 1 part? Or are they doing both parts?

I need to look it up and see what it looks like.....

I was going to have my oldest skim through the first chapter to see if anything looked new. (I don't think it will.) Then take the test. If he makes a 90 percent or above, then we will go on. I think the same will be for chapter 2 and 3. For chapter 4 and beyond, I will have him watch and do the sections that look new or that he thinks he needs practice on. He will do the corresponding sections before he takes the test. I can do this with this particular child as he will not take the easy way on things and wants to understand it. This method would NOT work for my younger boy. The oldest will also be doing a Statistics course and Physics next year, so he will have plenty of math. Good thing he loves it.

Christine