Menu

Trying to look ahead. Can someone help & look this over? (CLE & MCT mentioned)

I hope it's ok that I post here. As we prepare for 7th grade with my oldest dd, I'm trying to get an idea of where we are going from here until graduation with the core subjects.

My. Head. Is. Spinning.

I know things may change, that I may find different curriculums that work better for her. But for now I just need to have a guide to know what we'll be doing.

7th

LA & Reading: CLE 700

Vocabulary: Caesar's English I

Writing: ?

Math: CLE 600

8th

LA & Reading: CLE 800

Vocab.: Caesar's English II

Writing: Essay Voyage

Math: CLE 700

9th

LA: CLE English I and Literature I

Vocab.: Within the Word I

Writing: Academic Writing I

Math: CLE 800 & 900 (Algebra I)

10th

LA: CLE English I and Literature I

Vocab: Within the Word II

Writing: Academic Writing II

Math: CLE 900 & Geometry

11th

LA: CLE English II

Vocab: Within the Word III

Writing: Academic Writing III

Math: CLE Algebra II OR take a community college class

12th

CLE Lit. II

Research Paper

Math: CLE Functions & Trig OR take a community college class

Math: CLE Algebra II

My :confused: is that I don't know if I'm happy with CLE's upper level English and Literature. Has anyone used these? Yay? Nay?

Should I be looking for something that will cover American Lit., World Lit., English Lit., etc?

Am I missing something??

help???

By upper level I mean where they switch to doing English and Literature at 9th grade.

So with that into consideration, taking CLE Lit out of the picture, one could do English I in 9th and English II in 10th.

I'm not really sold on using CLE Math all the way through. That's one I put down to just guide us through. I've looked in to Teaching Textbooks some. Most of my IRL homeschooling friends use it but I've read some not so great reviews here. I'll cross that bridge when we get there.

I think my main confusion is the LA and Writing. Want to be thorough but not go overboard.

IF your dc has a strong grammar background s/he could do CLE English 9 in grade 9; it's 10 lightunits the last 2 are writing (writing a research paper & writing and presenting a persuasive paper). CLE schedules it over grades 9 & 10.

CLE Literature is a good course but I would combine it with another whole book program.

Is your dc using CLE math, LA and reading now?

I'm working my way through CLE English and Literature now myself.

Have you considered Saxon algebra with Art Reed? It's the most like CLE math than any other program I've seen.

You may want to consider skipping some lessons in CLE math 6 IF your dc does well with CLE math. After using CLE math 5-7, I see that there is so much review that skipping 2 out of every lightunit is worth it (again only if your dc does really well on the quizzes/tests) to get ahead. Read what I said on this thread: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1652238#poststop

Yes, we are using CLE for Math, Reading, and LA. The exception is that my 10yo likes R&S Math so she hasn't switched with that subject.

Someone has suggested Saxon but I'm not sure my dh will go for it. He used it in high school and H.A.T.E.D. it. He's always said that our kids will never use it. LOL!

You may want to consider skipping some lessons in CLE math 6 IF your dc does well with CLE math.

We already do somewhat. ;) I take into consideration how she is doing on the tests and then go through each lesson and circle the problem #s she is to do. Since they have so much review, she's not doing every single problem. Sometimes we hit a lesson that we can skip altogether.