Menu

LFC A help and encouragement needed...

Alright...so I finally started and the first lesson was great! We understood it and Magnus enjoyed it. Then we got to the second lesson and hit a wall...hard. :banghead: I haven't gone back and its been 3 weeks. We just don't "get" verb conjugation. I have watched the dvd several times trying to understand it and I simply can't. My dh who has several years of Latin at the university has tried to explain it to me and something is just blocking my understanding...ugh!:blink: However, I noticed that in the upcoming lessons, verb conjugation is not being taught (guess they figured we understand it), but declensions are.

So my question is:

How important is it to "get" verb conjugation before moving on? Should we have a thorough understanding of it before tackling noun declensions? Will it just eventually "click" for us?

Thank you for your help and kindness. :001_smile:

English adds things to change the tense (time) that the action took place but Latin does that as well as attaching the pronoun (subject)to the end.

amo - I love

amas - you love

amant - he, she, or it loves

"ama" is the base word "love"

"o" means "I"

"s" means "you"

"nt" means either "he", "she", or "it" based on context.

This is the part that is stumping me...the tense. In the last 3 weeks that we have not been doing Latin, we have completed MCT grammar and *I* got a refresher course in English grammar. I'm going to review the conjugation again and see if I better understand it now.

Thanks for your help.:001_smile:

You are not far enough along to really be dealing with tense in Latin. Everything you learn in the first half of this book is in present tense, happening right now. Eventually you will learn the endings that mean different times but don't worry about hat right now.

So I have been discouraged for something I have "invented"...UGH! Alright, I am a bit more encouraged and will take a look at it again and then just move on.

Thanks again!