Menu

I want to learn Attic Greek. What to use?

What have you used and loved? This is for me, not my children, and I want something...gentle. Something other than a straightforward, down and dirty textbook (a la Henle for Latin.) I don't have a lot of time each day, but I am motivated and really want to read Homer in Greek some day. Something with an audio component would be nice.

:bigear:

Some Attic Greek resources:

*Athenaze, Books 1&2. Popular college reading approach texts. Some audio online here and also here.

*Athenaze, Books 1&2, Italian edition. Closest thing I know of to Lingua Latina in Greek (although Focus Publishing has an updated version of A Greek Boy at Home (link below) in the works that might fit the bill.) Here is a post comparing the U.S. and Italian editions of Athenaze.

*Ancient Greek Alive. Reading method, begins with 2 weeks of oral Greek. Audio online here.

*Introduction to Ancient Greek. Popular college grammar translation text

*Reading Greek. Has an independent study guide. Has audio. Does need grammar/ex book.

*Thrasymachus. Another reading method text. Entertaining stories. Some online notes.

Some free resources:

*textkit.com Has links to many public domain texts plus an active forum

*Link to site with Greek Boy at Home - public domain beginning reader - plus the corresponding text and lots of other resources.

*An Intelligent Person's Guide to Greek - good grammar overview

*Enchiridion - online pdf book designed to get you reading Greek asap, so it just gives you the basics

Hope this is enough to get you started.