Menu

Question about the usefulness and timing of an auditory processing evaluation.

The neuro-psych we consulted recently has recommended I get an auditory processing evaluation done on my ds (9). But she wasn't sure it would result in any useful information because "kids with high verbal comprehension scores (on the WISC-IV) often compensate so well that the results won't show an auditory processing problem".

Have any of you experienced this?

I live in Colorado and I'm told that one of the best auditory processing evaluators in the country is just 40 miles north of here.

Should I get an evaluation done? I really do think there are some auditory processing issues with ds.

Will occupational therapy help at all with auditory processing?

Should I wait until OT and vision therapy is completed to get the auditory processing eval done?

Somewhere, I heard that there may not be anything that can be done for central auditory processing disorders? Is this true?

Thanks again. You all have been so helpful.

I would still get an APD evaluation if you can afford it -- especially since you have a good evaluator close by. This eval is usually not covered by medical insurance, though, and can cost a couple of thousand dollars. It will either rule out APD or identify which subtype(s) your dd has and the degree of severity with each subtype.

OT helps correct any vestibular imbalances caused by APD (balance, rhythm, timing), including some vision issues. Unless the OT incorporates sound therapy, OT will not directly address the APD issues -- just some of the physical side effects of the APD.

OT and vision therapy will not change the nature of any underlying APD, so there is no reason to wait on therapy before getting an APD eval. The sooner you know whether APD is an issue or not, the more informed your choices will be.

Sound therapy can help certain subtypes of APD, but not all. TLP is a general conditioning program for the auditory system that helps normalize responses to a wide range of sound frequencies. FastForWord trains the brain to recognize the sounds of speech with speed and accuracy, and is generally thought to be effective for the decoding deficit subtype of APD. Some people also thinks it helps the integration deficit subtype of APD. I doubt that it helps other subtypes of APD, though. TLP costs about $325. FFW costs between $1,500 and $3,500 depending on your provider.

I had this occur when my oldest son was tested at about 8 years of age (maybe 7, I can't recall at the moment). AFTER the testing, I was told that the only test at that time was for 12 and up. And his verbal comprehension was already on a post-college level, so it was pretty much totally useless.

We do not have good evaluators in our area. If I lived that close to one who was that good, I would have him evaluated again, now, in a moment, as I KNOW that he has this problem. I can't quite figure out why they can't come up with a test that can "see" it, when I can "see" it everyday......

We did not have good occupational therapists here when ds was younger (maybe still don't). The one we used for a while was absolutely worthless in all respects. So I don't know if this would be helpful to you or not. I'd get an evaluation, first, and get recs for a good therapist after.

I guess I'd go ahead and complete other evals before going ahead with the auditory processing eval. This might enable them to rule in or out other factors that might be influencing processing.

I do think that there are some strategies for assisting those with AP issues, as we make common sense modifications in our life every day to deal with this in both my husband and older son.

Regena

Auditory Processing Evaluations are completed by a combination of Speech-Language Patholgoists and Audiologists. The first step is to see an audiologist for a complete audiological evaluation which will assess hearing acuity (this is a requirement before continuing with the processing evalaution). If hearing acuity is normal, the child is the scheduled for a future auditory processing evaluation. The audiologist performs this in a sound booth. Typically, on another date the speech-pathologist will complete further testing which is somewhat different that the audiolgoist's and provides different information. The two professions should provide you with a detailed report with specific recommendations for remediation. Age 7 is now considered the age at which a child becomes eligible for the evaluation, so with your daughter at age 9 she would be eligible.

She may have learned to compensate in some ways but helping her and yourself identify her specific deficits will only further advance her in compensating. There are also specific therapeutic strategies that can improve the skills, as well as, such devices as FM systems which the audiologist may or may not recommend dependent on what deficits are identified.