Menu

Grading for high school - help!

As a newbie to hsing high school (I'm scared!), I have a few courses that I haven't yet figured out how to grade. For instance, we are using Life of Fred math (Adv. Algebra), and I'm not sure how to grade it, since it is not a traditional approach. Also, although I own Roseta Stone, I'm switching to Pimsleur for Spanish. How would you grade a curriculum that only requires listening? Solely on completion? I suppose since I'm learning it as well, I could quiz him on phrases orally. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Well, is there any test that accompanies LOF? Can you make up a test and then give it to him. Perhaps the folks that produce LOF can help you? What about using the SAT subject test?

I think you could grade him on how well he knows the Spanish vocabulary, sentence construction, etc. I don't understand though how you can learn a language and have no writing in it. I would at least dictate passages and see if he can write it down.

For Geometry, I'm grading dd on one city orally and 2 cities written each chapter, but she's doing 2 Geometries because I like to do two programs.

What I plan to do for a test is to test her on postulates, definitions & theorems a couple of times. I haven't been doing math tests for a few years, so I thought I'd do it this way in Geometry. LoF doesn't seem to have any tests in the book or in the answer key, and I haven't checked to see if he has any anywhere else.

I'm not sure what I'll do with Beginning Algebra, but I doubt I'll test because we'll be using that in middle school still and it will serve as our first Algebra 1 course (we do 2).

We're using LOF Adv. Algebra and Singapore's NSAM. I make up tests using one city per chapter. And I do the same kind of thing with the NSAM problem sets. NSAM gives you a point value for each problem, and I assign comparable values for the LOF problems.

I also grade each homework set -- just 1 point per problem.

I haven't yet decided on the weighting for the final grade, though.

HTH,

Karen