Menu

Please help with credit info?

Most of my daughter's classes for this coming year (9th) are straightforward, but I'm not sure about these:

Logic with Traditional Logic Book 1 ~ would you count this as 1/2 credit or 1 credit?

English will be MCTLA Magic Lens, WwW, 4 Practice, Poetry & Humanity, and Academic Writing ~ That would count as one English credit, right?

Additional writing through Home2Teach. She is signed up for the first 6 week course. If she should end up taking Home2Teach classes throughout the year, would I count this as an additional credit? If so, as what?

History and Great Books. Ancients this year. Do these usually count as 1 credit in History, or a literature credit, or both? I've read up in this forum on what constitutes a credit for literature as far as quantity, I guess what it is is that I'm not sure if History is along for the Literature ride, or if a credit is given for it too. She'll be using The Heritage of World Civilizations and doing additional reading that is apart from the Great Books we decide on. Sounds like 2 credits.

Literary Analysis ~ Windows to the World I've read here is 1/2 credit. I also have Teaching the Classics which I thought we'd go through together, and a book coming that covers literary devices and practice in spotting and using them. Would all of that be equivalent to 1 credit? (I don't want to ask too little for a credit, nor too much.)

And... Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings because my daughter loves LOTR and really wanted to do LLfLOTR. : ) Would you count this as another credit? If so, would it be a second Literary Analysis credit?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Rhea

I would count Traditional Logic as 1/2 credit. If you add in book 2 it could be one. You have an awful lot of English/lang arts credits. Here's what we did last yr and adding extras into it would have caused burn out and not enough hrs in the day....

History: combination of Omnibus 1 history novels and Spielvogel Human Odyssey text (ancient history only). 1 credit

English: Vocabulary, spelling (it was needed) and writing along with 9 novels by C.S. Lewis. I used Windows to the World and applied the elements of Lit in there to the C.S. Lewis books instead of using Windows to the World as is. I also have Teaching the Classics and applied the lessons in there to the C.S. Lewis books. 1 credit

Great Books-great books of ancient times, not the same ones that were read for history. 1 credit.

I think if you add in LoTR and poetry you'll have too much on your plate.

Thank you Jenn and Michelle. Michelle, I think her plate is too full too! I asked her to consider not doing LLfLOTR, Latin (gasp, I couldn't believe it then and I still can't believe I suggested she not continue Latin), and Equestrian Studies. I even thought about taking Logic out, but that one I can't give on. I think it's too important.

At this point I'm going with her motivation. She loves LA, not so much math, science, or logic. It's a learning experience, right? I've gone through the stressed out period and am now feeling a lovely (perhaps deceptive) calm. When we need to adjust (and I think something will have to give when sports start) that will be a learning experience too.

Thank you again,

Rhea