Menu

Piano for quitters: crosspost

My dd loves to play the piano, but she plays by ear, and refuses to learn to read music. She wants to play bigger and better music, and has taught herself much of the music that she plays. I had been going through the Bastien series of books with her, but she has never liked them. She is now going into the eighth grade, and the methods books seem to young for her. I've looked at Alfred's adult all-in-one course and the piano for life videos, but I honestly just don't know if these programs are what we need. We CANNOT afford piano lessons. I play some and can read music, so the lessons have to be done with me or through a video course. Can anyone comment on the adult and self teaching programs I mentioned above, or offer any suggestions?

I've used both Bastien's and Alfred's adult books. Of course, they aren't terribly fun. They are exercises instead of fun songs; lots of hard work.

I've had YEARS of classical training - mostly flute and some piano - and scales and exercises are just indespensible. It's funny, but now we are all playing bluegrass (I play mandonlin, othe kids play guitar, fiddle and bass). Bluegrass is totally by ear and improvisational. But even with bluegrass - as "hillbilly" as it is - we still need the scales & exercises! There's just no getting around them to be a good musician, no matter what kind of music you play.

How far has she gotten in Bastien? I'm a piano teacher, but currently teaching only my own kids. I have a friend who teaches her own too so maybe I can give you some ideas if I know where she's at and what you're looking for.

Is she interested in classical? If not what kind of music does she want to play/do you want her to play?

Do you intend to make the ability to read a requirement? And do you consider scales, etc. necessary? Depending on your goals they don't have to be required.

Alfred's all-in-one is a good program, but may be too easy depending on how far she's gotten already.

How far has she gotten in Bastien? I'm a piano teacher, but currently teaching only my own kids. I have a friend who teaches her own too so maybe I can give you some ideas if I know where she's at and what you're looking for.

Is she interested in classical? If not what kind of music does she want to play/do you want her to play?

Do you intend to make the ability to read a requirement? And do you consider scales, etc. necessary? Depending on your goals they don't have to be required.

Alfred's all-in-one is a good program, but may be too easy depending on how far she's gotten already.

Good questions. Well, she just finished level 2 in Bastien. She can actually play pieces a bit harder than level 2--she just hates the Bastien books, so we don't get very far very fast in them.

I think reading the music and doing scales are necessary, but I am NOT a musician--I want her to practice whatever is necessary.

She does like Classical music--she's a ballerina, and that would be her life if we could afford it. Ha! She likes to play music that is familiar to her--Christmas music, hymns, worship songs--that kind of thing is familiar to her in addition to classical.

I personally dislike method books. However they're a good way to keep up w/scales, theory etc.

After finishing level 2 of a method book, I put my kids (and other students) into classical. I start them off with Essential Keyboard Repertoire. (Ignore the bad Amazon review.) The big plus is you can buy a CD of all the songs (you may have to ask your music store to order it).

Another nice thing is that the book has a list the 10-12 easiest pieces so that should make it easier to use.

There are 4 volumes, and we've never gotten past the first because I can pick & choose from my other books after volume 1, but you can keep going through those as long as you like.

So, just pick a piece with an easier key, have her listen to the CD, try to play it for her, then let her go at it.

If you're dropping method books you can find scale books, theory books, technique books, whatever you want. Just ask them to help you in the store. Perhaps your daughter could keep a theory book & scale book going.

Faber & Faber is a very popular, newer method book that I think would appeal more to older students.

F & F also has good hymns/Christmas collections. Really, all the publishers do. So maybe you can entice her w/ some new music.

Another way to get her more motivated to read is to maybe do note flashcards. Practice a few minutes a day. Go for accuracy and speed. When she can get them all perfect in X minutes (fast!), she gets a reward of some new fun music.

You can also buy sight reading books; or just find a method book a level or two below her, that she's never used, and have her go through it all just for sight reading. Again throw in some incentives for completing it. It's a good way to practice reading.

Let me know if you have more questions or need other ideas.

PS my husband is from ABQ.

I personally dislike method books. However they're a good way to keep up w/scales, theory etc.

After finishing level 2 of a method book, I put my kids (and other students) into classical. I start them off with Essential Keyboard Repertoire. (Ignore the bad Amazon review.) The big plus is you can buy a CD of all the songs (you may have to ask your music store to order it).

Another nice thing is that the book has a list the 10-12 easiest pieces so that should make it easier to use.

There are 4 volumes, and we've never gotten past the first because I can pick & choose from my other books after volume 1, but you can keep going through those as long as you like.

So, just pick a piece with an easier key, have her listen to the CD, try to play it for her, then let her go at it.

If you're dropping method books you can find scale books, theory books, technique books, whatever you want. Just ask them to help you in the store. Perhaps your daughter could keep a theory book & scale book going.

Faber & Faber is a very popular, newer method book that I think would appeal more to older students.

F & F also has good hymns/Christmas collections. Really, all the publishers do. So maybe you can entice her w/ some new music.

Another way to get her more motivated to read is to maybe do note flashcards. Practice a few minutes a day. Go for accuracy and speed. When she can get them all perfect in X minutes (fast!), she gets a reward of some new fun music.

You can also buy sight reading books; or just find a method book a level or two below her, that she's never used, and have her go through it all just for sight reading. Again throw in some incentives for completing it. It's a good way to practice reading.

Let me know if you have more questions or need other ideas.

PS my husband is from ABQ.

Thank you, thank you! This is just the direction that I was needing. I will look into these things and let you know if I think of anymore questions.

We love ABQ. We moved here from Dallas 4 years ago. You can't beat the climate here. It has been really hot the last few days here, and my dc think it's awful. We try to remind them of what summer days and nights were like in Texas---way worse! :)

You're welcome! Please PM me if you have specific questions. I love to encourage homeschool moms to teach piano to their kids. There are so many great materials out there. Yes, it's frustrating and difficult at times, but it is for paid teachers too, and it would be if you were paying for lessons too! Mostly it's very rewarding!