Menu

Help interpret SAT Score?

Got Ds's scored on line but it doesn't tell me details or combined score. So can anyone help interpret the scores?

He got:

Critical Reading 560

Math 560

Writing 420

Of course he answered all the questions even the ones he didn't know, so I don't know if this hurt him much or not. He thought he was better off answering what he didn't know instead of omitting the questions.

Anyway so I thought the SAT was only two scores of 800 each and combined as 1600 total. But on line it showed three scores and if adding them up that gives him a 1540. Just doesn't seem to make since from what I heard about SAT scores.

This score isn't going to be a permanent record at college board since he took it as a 8th grader.

The new SAT has three 800-point sections: CR, Math, and Writing. So, you have a combined total (potential) of 2400 points. To compare to the old scoring system, you just omit the Writing. So, your son scored 1120 on the test as an eighth grader! Pretty nice. I remember when I was in school, and anything above a 1200 was a good sign for college entry into a nice school. :) (It's far more competitive now. I am old. LOL.)

Here at our CC, those scores would qualify him to take College Algebra and Freshman Composition. (He'd have to be 16 years old, however.)

So, I think you should be satisfied that you got decent "first try" scores, and just keep reading, thinking and learning...with even more focus on writing across the curriculum.

Congrats!

The new SAT has three 800-point sections: CR, Math, and Writing. So, you have a combined total (potential) of 2400 points. To compare to the old scoring system, you just omit the Writing. So, your son scored 1120 on the test as an eighth grader! Pretty nice. I remember when I was in school, and anything above a 1200 was a good sign for college entry into a nice school. :) (It's far more competitive now. I am old. LOL.)

Here at our CC, those scores would qualify him to take College Algebra and Freshman Composition. (He'd have to be 16 years old, however.)

So, I think you should be satisfied that you got decent "first try" scores, and just keep reading, thinking and learning...with even more focus on writing across the curriculum.

Congrats!

Oh we are very satisfied with his score. He increased since he took it in 6th grade. He had a 400 in Critical reading and math then. So he made huge strides. Very proud of him!!!!!

He wants to take science and computers at college from the get go... and I think he needs this challenge. At the local high school they told me that Ds would be bored out of sanity in their math/science courses, even in their AP courses, as they just don't go fast enough pace for him.

We will talk with the college next week and see what they recommend. Our junior college allows 14yr olds. There is a process to enroll in each class for each semester until student is 16 yrs old. Early enrolled students have to interview with professor and get permission to take the course from the professor. Also have to get Dept Chair and Vice President of Academic Affairs approval for each course.