Menu

Speedy Spanish or BJU Elementary Spanish?

schang011

We are thinking of starting Spanish for our 10 yo and 8 yo. Neither my husband nor I speak Spanish though. I am wondering if anyone has used Speedy Spanish or BJU's new Elementary Spanish? How do you like it? I really like how both program include Bible verses and songs.

TIA!

Shirley

It's for young children, though. I'd say it's for 1st through 3rd graders. It's a three-year program, and only the first year is available right now. Available on HomeSat I mean. The whole program is available in print. In fact, when you buy the box, you're getting all three year's worth at one time.

We're doing it on HomeSat. My son is in 4th grade, so it's really much too simple for him; but we both like it. It's short and sweet, and doesn't seem like school at all.

The kids learn very short Bible verses and Bible truths. They learn songs in Spanish. They learn the usual colors, body parts, numbers, etc. that all the programs teach.

If you're thinking about doing it without HomeSat, though, I really can't say much about it. I mean the content would be the same, but the delivery would be entirely different. We rarely even pick up the books. We really enjoy the DVD teacher.

If I can tell you anything more specific, let me know. And let me know if you'll be using HomeSat.

And I don't see how I can justify the cost if we only want Spanish at this time. Since I don't speak any Spanish, I was hoping the CDs will be doing the "teaching". Do you think the teacher needs to be somewhat proficient in Spanish in order to use the program? Do you have other recommendations?

Thanks,

Shirley

You get both song CDs and speaking CDs.

I don't mean to discourage you away from the program; it's just that most of what we love about it is the HomeSat teacher and the HomeSat extras. (No, of course you wouldn't subscribe to HomeSat just for that.) I just don't know what it would be like to teach it without HomeSat.

It's very simple, though, and very complete. You do get a lot of material. (I know it's expensive.) It's meant for young children, so you'd have no trouble understanding it. (I know the pronunciation is a whole other issue.)

I'm sorry I can't give you a more thorough review. We love what we have, but I know that doesn't help you. :(