Menu

Colleen in SEVA - if you don't mind

You previously posted the following in another thread, and I have a couple of questions if you don't mind me asking.

We are using Prentice Hall Science Explorer for middle school level science. It is schoolish and textbooky, but seems to cover a lot of science SKILLS, not just content. We are adding in higher level videos and online research following his interests. I am still working out the kinks for math, but I *think* we are going to do a combo of Singapore NEM and LoF Algebra for math this coming year (which sounds weird when I type it out... ).

As for high school level stuff.... who knows. My official plan at this time is :lurk5:

I have the complete set of individual PHSE books, and next year I am planning on using those that would make up the Life Science book. Dss will be in 6th and 7th grades (older one is gifted). I also purchased a set of PHSE Life Science tapes which I hope to use.

What really caught my I in your post was -

We are adding in higher level videos and online research
I don't know which area of science you will be working on next year, but I was wondering if you would be willing to share what additional resources you will be using. Also, I hear a lot about the guided reading book/pages. Do you use these and if so do you find them beneficial. As in, they're really great and dc get so much more out of the books by using them.

TIA

I was wondering if you would be willing to share what additional resources you will be using.

We add in whatever is on Nova, NatGeo, Animial Planet, or Discovery Channel. :) There are some fascinating shows on these channels! Just check online first, there are several shows that are adult-only in content (ie The Science of S**). I don't try to tie these to our current studies, because most of what they show would never occur to me to teach. Blue watched an entire 2-hour show about epigenomes, which he understood because we studied DNA with RS4K. He loves the shows where they deconstruct large structures, and there was a whole series showing how to build an apartment building (the episode on plumbing was VERY educational!). He has also learned more from AP'S The Most Extreme than any zoology course I could have come up with! :) I have a United Streaming subscription, but I haven't utilized it much (though I want to!).

I haven't seen the videos that accompany the series, so I'm not sure what they are. My local middle school principal said I could borrow them, but I haven't done that yet.

Also, I hear a lot about the guided reading book/pages. Do you use these and if so do you find them beneficial. As in, they're really great and dc get so much more out of the books by using them.

Well... I'm sort of indifferent about the workbooks themselves. We started out doing them, but they became busy work, and since there was so much writing I had to scribe for Blue, so it became MY busy work. :glare: It was mostly fact recall from what was read, which he didn't really need. Instead, we switched to the Review and Reinforce sheets, which are only 1-2 pages per section and highlight the most important concepts rather than every detail. These go in his science notebook with the activity write-ups, so if he needs to review he has them. I also print off the "Enrich" pages, for each section there is one page of extra information with a couple of questions, and these are optional (but usually pretty interesting).

If you are doing the whole series, it may be worthwhile to purchase the Teacher Express CD-Rom. You can buy it at Amazon Marketplace, but BE CAREFUL that you are getting the 4-CD set, as the first one I ordered was just a 2-CD trial version and only covered one text. The right ISBN is 0-13-181274-2. I just did a search and right now they are $80-100, I would wait for the price to come down. I will be using this series several times over the next 12 years, so for me it made sense to buy the disc. It includes:

• Lesson Planner software -- enter the section you are covering and how much time you have, and it selects which activities and discussion questions are most important (I just enter a really high number, then pick and choose myself).
  • Teacher's Interactive version of all 16 texts (with the info on the wraparound of the page).
  • Soft copies of all worksheets from all 16 books, all lab sheets (including those not in the books), and answer keys.
  • ExamView Test Bank, which lets you choose the number and type of questions, lets you save it for future use, and provides page numbers on the answer key.
  • Hyperlinks to all of the online codes for animations and quizzes.

I see you are in VA -- are you in Hampton Roads? If so, you are welcome to borrow it to try out. :) OH! I have the Guided Reading Workbook for the Cells book I could give you, are you going to be at the WTM conference or HEAV?

Edited by Colleen in SEVA

Wow, ask and ye shall receive.:) Thank you so much for sharing this.

Colleen in SEVA;921584]We add in whatever is on Nova, NatGeo, Animial Planet, or Discovery Channel. :) There are some fascinating shows on these channels! Just check online first, there are several shows that are adult-only in content (ie The Science of S**). I don't try to tie these to our current studies, because most of what they show would never occur to me to teach. Blue watched an entire 2-hour show about epigenomes, which he understood because we studied DNA with RS4K. He loves the shows where they deconstruct large structures, and there was a whole series showing how to build an apartment building (the episode on plumbing was VERY educational!). He has also learned more from AP'S The Most Extreme than any zoology course I could have come up with! :)

Your ds sounds so much like mine, he can always find something to watch on those channels or the History channel. I used to frequently record things, but like you said about the History of S**, I found that I actually had to be careful what time I was recording. Did you know the commercials they show at say 8:00 are different from the ones at around 1:00 or later.;)

I haven't seen the videos that accompany the series, so I'm not sure what they are. My local middle school principal said I could borrow them, but I haven't done that yet.

I've only watched part of one and it was your regular ps science video. Nothing terribly exciting, but I only paid about $20 for the set (they're VHS) so if dss just absolutely hate them it's no great loss.

Well... I'm sort of indifferent about the workbooks themselves. We started out doing them, but they became busy work, and since there was so much writing I had to scribe for Blue, so it became MY busy work. :glare: It was mostly fact recall from what was read, which he didn't really need. Instead, we switched to the Review and Reinforce sheets, which are only 1-2 pages per section and highlight the most important concepts rather than every detail. These go in his science notebook with the activity write-ups, so if he needs to review he has them. I also print off the "Enrich" pages, for each section there is one page of extra information with a couple of questions, and these are optional (but usually pretty interesting).

This is nice to know. It's always helpful to see what others who have used the program actually find useful and what is busy work.

If you are doing the whole series, it may be worthwhile to purchase the Teacher Express CD-Rom. You can buy it at Amazon Marketplace, but BE CAREFUL that you are getting the 4-CD set, as the first one I ordered was just a 2-CD trial version and only covered one text. The right ISBN is 0-13-181274-2. I just did a search and right now they are $80-100, I would wait for the price to come down. I will be using this series several times over the next 12 years, so for me it made sense to buy the disc. It includes:

• Lesson Planner software -- enter the section you are covering and how much time you have, and it selects which activities and discussion questions are most important (I just enter a really high number, then pick and choose myself).
  • Teacher's Interactive version of all 16 texts (with the info on the wraparound of the page).
  • Soft copies of all worksheets from all 16 books, all lab sheets (including those not in the books), and answer keys.
  • ExamView Test Bank, which lets you choose the number and type of questions, lets you save it for future use, and provides page numbers on the answer key.
  • Hyperlinks to all of the online codes for animations and quizzes.

I remember when you got this last year and you were so excited about it arriving.:) I am curious though, for what edition is your CD? I was looking for it at PH to see what the current price was and I couldn't find it. The set that I have is 2005, would this CD work with those? I already have the TM for the Life Science book so that's no big deal; but it would be nice to have all the other goodies that are included on it.:)

I see you are in VA -- are you in Hampton Roads? If so, you are welcome to borrow it to try out. :) OH! I have the Guided Reading Workbook for the Cells book I could give you, are you going to be at the WTM conference or HEAV?

I wish I were in your area so I could try it out; but alas I'm up in the Northern Shenandoah Valley. Unfortunately I won't be at the conferences either, but I appreciate the offer.

Again thank you so much for sharing this information. It really is a great help.