Menu

Anyone else going to National History Day this summer?

My daughter is competing in senior website. This has been her dream since last fall, and so our whole family is looking forward to the experience of going to Washington DC and competing there.:)

I also teach drama at a tutorial and have all my students participate in National History Day. This year one of my middle school groups and a high school individual also made it in the performance category. So they're all excited as well.

It's going to be such a great experience for them getting to meet students from all over the country.

Sharon

Best of luck to all of your participants.

Do you do this as an individual effort or are you part of some organized group? I have investigated History Day - and think it is wonderful - but I don't think i have enough energy to organize and motivate and instruct my daughter. I would love to support her in a group though!

Kate,

This is our second year competing. Last year my daughter competed in individual performance and enjoyed it all right, but her topic was a local woman that she didn't really get into. This year she found a more interesting topic and she has been so fascinated by it that she has done just tons of research. She's also excited that she was able to do a website since she's very techy and that's what she wants to do as a career.

History Day is a lot of work, but it's an excellent experience for the students. It has overwhelmingly been the favorite assignment of the year for my drama students, which is pretty amazing considering how much harder it is than anything else they do. The key is just picking a topic that truly interests them and then guiding them along.

There are benefits both of individual projects as well as group. Individual requires a lot more work, but they also have a lot more control. With groups, it divides the amount of work per student, but it can also involve conflicts between group members.

If you're interested, I would suggest you observe one year, and let your student get motivated to see how much fun it is. Washington History Day is this Saturday if you're convenient to Green River Community College. It looks like Washington has a top notch state program. Did you notice last year a homeschool student from Washington won the big scholarship?

Let me know if you have any specific questions about history day.

Sharon