Menu

A question about Elementary Diagramming

melmac

We just started using this and I have a question. When I was in high school (the only time I've ever diagrammed sentences, I enjoyed it, but it was about 15 years ago) we had to label the parts of speech as we diagrammed the sentences. I don't see that we're supposed to do that in this book. Was I taught the wrong way, or is it a difference in programs? Anyone know? Thanks!

you labelled the parts of speech before diagramming, or that you labelled the parts of speech on the diagram?

It's a very good idea to parse the sentence before diagramming it. However, some children think differently, and can diagram better than they can parse. If that is the case with your child, I would diagram first, and then use the diagram to reinforce what the parts of speech are.

Does that help?

The parts of speech indicate what the words are, so to speak. It is their identity.

A diagram, however reveals their function in relationship to the other words in the sentence.

I'm actually not very far along in learning my grammar, but I suspect their might be times when parsing before diagramming may be confusing.

I meant that I had to label the parts of speech on the diagram. Thanks!

you labelled the parts of speech before diagramming, or that you labelled the parts of speech on the diagram?

It's a very good idea to parse the sentence before diagramming it. However, some children think differently, and can diagram better than they can parse. If that is the case with your child, I would diagram first, and then use the diagram to reinforce what the parts of speech are.

Does that help?

Thanks!

The parts of speech indicate what the words are, so to speak. It is their identity.

A diagram, however reveals their function in relationship to the other words in the sentence.

I'm actually not very far along in learning my grammar, but I suspect their might be times when parsing before diagramming may be confusing.