Menu

Singapore Dimensions K-5 vs. 6-8

Ting Tang

Is it me or do the 6-8 levels look like more "regular" math than k-5?

My rising 5th grader completed Master Books math grade 6.  I can see that he's completed a lot of what in Singapore Dimensions 6.  There are a few small gaps.  We didn't spend time on too many algebraic concepts, but there were some. We did spend a lot of time on fractions, decimals, percents, etc.  Typical grade 6 stuff.

He isn't great about "showing his work" out of stubbornness.

I really thought we'd go back to grade 5 to help him think more conceptually about math, but I am not even sure he really needs that.  The more I look at it, I just don't know if we should go down to that level.  I think level 6 might be a lot of repetition from this past year, and grade 7 looks like a continuation.  Yes, there are areas he didn't spend much time on due to it being Master Books.  

I guess I don't know if there is going to be a huge benefit going down to grade 5 based on what 6-8 looks like and what's he's already worked on.

The website says you can go from any grade 5 program and start at level 6.  It says if you didn't master grade 6 math in another program, it might be good to start at 6. 

Does anyone feel grade 5 Singapore is essential to getting ready for 6-8?  I'm mostly debating between 5/6, though he could potentially start 7.

Thanks for reading all my posts, lol.

Edited by Ting Tang

9 hours ago, Lovinglife123 said:

No you don’t need grade 5 Singapore.  Take the placement test, and go from there.

Thank you! So we think for a more elementary look, he could do the colorful primary standards edition grade 6 instead of Dimensions grade 6. I know there are some differences, such as review built in and the harder problems being in extra books. But if he does that, he should be able to go Into Dimensions 7 after? Is that correct? There are no placement tests for 6-8. I know he’s covered a lot of 6, but not all. So that seems like a good place to start. 

Edited by Ting Tang

1 hour ago, Lovinglife123 said:

I am not sure if the scope of 6 primary is the same as 6 in dimensions.  The teaching is different.  He might place 5 in Singapore Primary.  If it were me I’d go with dimensions since you plan on sticking with it for 7-8.  That would be a bit more consistent and less for you both to acclimate yourselves to.

I thought I replied, oops! Thank you for that good point. Have you ordered from the Singapore Math site? I read a few bad reviews, but that was during the time with many shipping delays. 

14 minutes ago, Lovinglife123 said:

Good luck!! I have found that even some of my purchase “mistakes” we ended up using sooner or later.  That makes buying a lot less stressful for me now.  The benefit of a big family 😀

lol well, this year I’m being very selective about what I choose to sell for these reasons! I only have four, but they range from rising 5th down to Kinder! I like with Dimensions everything is built in. I feel like with the others, he needs at least two separate workbooks. I can see him grumbling about that alone, thinking he’s doing more…. Did you use any of the recommended manipulatives for dimensions? That might help make up for the lack of cartoons— I’m just assuming there isn’t a ton of images in 6 based on samples? 

Well, I went the opposite direction.  A happy medium, I think is going to be doing the Primary 6 Standards.  I decided it will be easier to explain the look of a middle school textbook when he is in middle school, LOL.  His math book last year was nothing to write home about, so maybe he will enjoy the cartoon people, lol.