Menu

Outschool and copyright laws

threewishes

On 9/21/2020 at 11:05 PM, Farrar said:

The vast majority of Outschool classes are not recording at all. Or keeping the recordings if they are. A few are recording and then you can watch for the next week to keep up. The FLEX classes - yes, I agree with you. That's where you potentially get into issues. I understand what you're saying about the difference between fair use - but I disagree about a continuing education class through a nonprofit entity like a university. As long as the provider is a nonprofit, then the course is a nonprofit. Otherwise, every single university and private school in the country wouldn't be able to follow those guidelines. 

Regardless, this is all pretty moot. Outschool classes are mostly teacher created materials. Or, for the handful of serious classes, they require that the student buy the textbook. So now everyone has the book. There's no copyright issues there to assign and discuss the questions. Or for the teacher to personally use the answers in marking. Or it's something like IEW, which licenses instructors to use their name and methods in classes.

Actually, all Outschool classes are recorded. Parents and students have access to those recordings for one year.