Menu

The Jump from MFW K to 1st

Houston, we have a problem....

I got all excited and we started My Father's World Kindergarten almost 6 months early.  You can imagine...I was excited, he was excited.  He's a late spring birthday kid, so we literally started before he even turned 5.  Well, I'm looking at the calendar and it looks like we might actually be finished with MFW K this fall - like around September...  😱

So, if you've used MFW....how bad is the jump from K to 1st?  If he's finished K, could we do 1st?  I did hear before that it is a huge jump.  He's only going to be 5 and would be just starting Kindergarten if he went to public school.  He's following along with K just fine, though.  He's starting to sound out CVC words, but he can't really write yet (he's left handed and he can't quite nail down which hand to use, which ends up being awkward and I'm just not pushing the writing yet).  Other than that, I've actually been supplementing with a few things, because MFW K has been easy for him.  He REALLY enjoys it, through.  As in, he asks to do Kindergarten all the time (and at weird times, like 9:00 at night or when I'm cooking dinner).  

If you did 1st, how long did it take?  I'm assuming it's more seat work than K.