Menu

Combining Explode the Code and Handwriting Without Tears

ngraysmith

My DS, who will be five in February just finished ETC A, B and C and is very, very ready for Book 1 (he is already reading CVC words). I also have the HWOT Get Set for School (funny title ;) and Letters and Numbers for Me. I'm wondering in what order to do these books? Anyone have suggestions about what worked for them? My inclination is to go ahead and start both ETC 1 and Get Set for School at the same time...

I look forward to hearing everyone's suggestions!

Nicole

I did Get Set for School as a pre-K thing along with the ETC a, b & c books. I was going to start my 4 year old on ETC book 1 along with Letters & Numbers for me next year for K. I'm sure it doesn't really matter though. I find the earlier books have a lot of overlap with printing and letter practice. But Get Set for School is the first one, followed by Letters & Numbers. I am using My Printing Book now with ETC 2 & 3 for my Gr. 1 son and it's working great.

Get Set for School only teaches capital letters. Letters and Numbers for me teaches capitals again for the first half of the book. Your dc has learned to write lower case with ETC A, B & C. ETC and HWT don't compliment each other in anyway. Go ahead with HWT's and don't try to match it up with ETC. ETC 1 is very different from A,B & C. It expect a child to already know how to write letters. My dd who did GSFS last year and is doing ETC 1 right now writes in a mixture of capital and lower case letters. I try to force her to write in lower case, but HWT has drilled capital letters so hard, she feel more comfortable with capitals.

We are currently using ETC book 1 and Letters & numbers for me at the same time. I sometimes skip the writing in ETC and just ask for the reading work. My dd is getting better with her handwriting, but it is a struggle. I would say using the two books concurrently is fine, but I don't see how they could be matched up.

Jesi