Menu

Sing Spell Read and Write users.....

Allison TX

We are using SSR&W and loving it!! I have tried every phonics program under the sun but I can safely say that for the first time my children are actually enjoying their lessons.

I'm using the Kindergarten (All Aboard & On Track books)with ds4-it's more of what I would consider a preschool level at first, covering letter names and sounds with cutting and pasting, matching, coloring etc. By the end of the year it will begin blends. He loves it and feels included in our school day. Lessons take about 20 minutes.

I'm using the 1st Grade (Off We Go & Raceway books)with ds6-he's definitely learning how to read and write and spell I can see it! He started off the year knowing how to read simple CVC words (cat, mat, sat, rat, dog, log, etc) which is what the 'Off We Go' book covers so, we skipped that one and moved right on to Raceway. It stars off with a quick review (all the books have review at first) of letter sounds, vowels and blends (be-d, mo-p, fu-n, da-d etc) It incorporates cutting and pasting, matching, drawing, as well as a few games like bingo and go fish. In just a few short weeks he is now writing complete sentences (he was very reluctant with handwriting), he has no problem with spelling and his reading has really taken off. Lessons take about 30 minutes.

I'm also using the Level 2 (Grand Tour 1 & Grand Tour 2) with Ds8 as he has really had some difficulties with spelling. I had tried many different spelling programs but with each one this boy was in tears by the end of the lesson, he just didn't get it. This is the first one that he can do and it's working. He's finally understanding the spelling/grammar rules. It covers vocabulary, grammar, spelling, handwriting, incl. cursive, proofreading and introduces referencing skills. Lessons take about 20-30 minutes.

The funny thing is, we don't use the "sing" part of SSR&W, they just aren't into it. I tried it at first but they didn't like the music. It's fine without it. The quality of the material really impressed me also, the workbooks are really high-quality, the readers are very nice, and the charts and games are also great.

I was very hesitant about 'forking out the money' for yet another expensive phonics program. I'm so glad I did though, for the first time, my children are asking to do their language arts lessons and I can see that it's really working. I plan on replacing the workbooks each year for the next child in line. (I did find a source for those, seperately. They can be difficult to locate) My children all have extremely different personalities and learning styles but this is one program that is working for all of them.

Sorry this was long, I hope it helps. :)