Menu

Handwriting (Zaner-Bloser) for 2nd Grade Boy

sarahsheart

We are in the first year of homeschooling our oldest who is a 7 yr old boy. He completed Kindergarten & 1st grade at our local Christian School & they used A Bekah for most of their subjects. I haven't been doing any handwriting practice with him as of yet but would like to start working with him some each "school day". His handwriting is not completely terrible but neither is it stellar. He does have a tendency to write his b, d, p & q's backwards. I am wondering if I should go ahead and start him on the Zaner-Bloser cursive for 2nd grade or get their print. He reads very well for his age & grade, spelling is on track. He does not like that I have been writing his Phonics lessons on the dry-erase board in cursive but seems to be learning to read it. He did just receive his first eye glass prescription yesterday for farsightedness causing eye strain in the class room and I'm curious to see how it will affect his handwriting.

You could go either way and be completely fine.

Cursive might stop the reversals, so that's something to think about. But the reversals themselves are super normal for that age, and would eventually (with your help) get straightened out regardless.

Soooo...follow your heart :)

I have that book. The first third is print review, so he would get some print if you want. Does either your spelling or writing curriculum result in some practice? I chose it for my 2nd grader as I am hoping it might result in better print too and he wanted to learn cursive. I am reasonably satisfied so far. We do one page a day.

• Like 1

I have that book. The first third is print review, so he would get some print if you want. Does either your spelling or writing curriculum result in some practice? I chose it for my 2nd grader as I am hoping it might result in better print too and he wanted to learn cursive. I am reasonably satisfied so far. We do one page a day.

That is good to know they do some print review. We are also making a switch from A Bekah Spelling over to Spelling Workout B (just finished placing my order). We started this year with the A Bekah Phonics/Language/Spelling because that is that he was used to from the last 2 years but he is already getting bored & frustrated with the phonics work because he already knows the material very well and is ready to move on. So this week I have been out to make necessary changes to keep him engaged and moving forward.

After sitting down with him yesterday and discussing the handwriting options in which he asked to see his name in cursive and then proceeded to copy me (and it was more legible than any print work he does) I decided to go ahead with the cursive 2nd grade book. Now we are excitedly awaiting his eye glasses & new material to start on. 

Edited by sarahsheart