Menu

Teaching a grammar/writing class, need a book?

momma2three

I'm teaching a grammar/writing class to 4th and 5th graders.  It's going to be about 20-30 minutes of direct group instruction each week, and then the kids will have homework to do at home, and then small group or one on one review of writing assignments (depending on the assignment and the kid, and whether we're doing workshopping, or editing.

I am TOTALLY at a loss for what to use, and the parents want me to use something (and I do too).

I've used FLL/WWE, and Growing With Grammar/Writing With Writing, and the Galore Park English Prep books at home.  I don't think that any of them are a good fit for this.  English Prep is the closest, but I thought the lessons were pretty weak.

Should I look into school textbooks?  I know that WTM recommends Voyages In English, so I've requested a sample copy.  I generally have a poor opinion of school writing/grammar textbooks, but that's largely based on my own shoddy experiences and hearsay, so I'm not sure that's fair? 

Or maybe Michael Clay Thompson?  Would that work in a group setting?  I've only bought The Music of the Hemispheres, and was a little underwhelmed, but that might be because I was expecting something a little bit different.

Any other suggestions or ideas?  It absolutely, 100% has to be secular.

Thank you!  I admit that I'm always a bit put off by them, because their leader always seemed a bit cult-y, but I hear such good things about their programs from nearly everyone.  I'll definitely check them out.

I reviewed Zaner Bloser's "Strategies for Writers" this afternoon (forgot to mention I also reached out to them for a review copy), and it's kinda everything wrong with public school writing programs... no grammar, expressly states at least every few pages that students are doing this to prepare for tests.  Ugh.

• Like 1

We love IEW, but I would also recommend adding Killagon's Sentence Composing for Elementary School. The "chunking" exercises are excellent and IEW does not address this. Also, you can draw from the exercises to reinforce the IEW sentence variety idea.

https://www.amazon.com/Sentence-Composing-Elementary-School-Sentences/dp/0325002231

I wouldn't say that every student has to have this book, but I would use it for in-class exercises.

• Like 2

Oh, and I forgot to mention that IEW does have a book (three-ring binders, actually) for the kids. The Student Writing Intensive is a great program for that age, and you can buy a combo pack that comes with Fix-It Grammar. It is secular enough for California schools, so it should work anywhere.

You would probably use SWI Level A for the age of your class. The combo pack comes with the "portable walls" which I find extremely helpful for the students. Depending on how many students you have, it is probably cheaper to buy the bulk packages rather than the combo packs.