Menu

Ugh. Awkward text-versation. Church content.

Ginevra

This is one of those, "I feel guilty when I say no" moments.

Many of you here know that, though I struggle with the faith, and for all intents and purposes am really a Deist, I do attend church regularly for the sake of maintaining stability for my children. And I like the church much more often than not; love the pastor, and have friends there. I know the church has been trying hard to gather new volunteers to work the children's program.

So a friend texts me today asking if I might be willing to serve for this coming school year. Oh, so very awkward. I want to say No in a very emphatic way, but I also feel terribly guilty. I actually almost responded with, "I am not a good candidate because I am an extremely poor example." Instead I said I was not eager. I said that it will be a problem because DH will not want to come for two services and it won't be optimal for us to come to church separately every week, which is all true. Actually, though I didn't say this, there is a good chance DH would just not bother if we go separately anyway. He would feel it was a waste of gas.

Soooo, now I feel like it is awkward when I see this friend again. The friend did say,"no problem, just thought I would ask,'" but I still feel like a guilty slacker.

I just say stuff like, "It is not a good fit at this time."  

I've done my time in lots of ways.  I never feel guilty (unless I have sinned). 

I didn't read the rest of the responses, but you have no reason to feel guilty. You do other things:-) I HATE being asked to do anything with children's ministry, lol. I don't really like being with kids, other than mine. I am not good with them, and I am not nice and nurturing, lol. More like a drill Sargent. People know this about me and still ask. I have just gotten to the point where I know my strengths and weaknesses and unless I am feeling convicted that God wants me in a position, I say no. Nicely, just like you did. You don't have to justify it.

Work to your strengths. I am glad your friend was nice. Next time you see her, don't even mention it. You two have more important things to talk about, lol. Now go drown the guilt monster in a big cuppa Joe:-)

Ha ha.  Fellow drill sergeant here.  (Salutes). 

• Like 2