Menu

Anyone in Savannah, GA?

LaMere Academy

We are thinking of moving there.  We currently live in a small town area right on the coast.  There isn't much to do here and are looking for an area that's not too far from where we are now, but is safe, beautiful and has more to do. 

My biggest concern is that when I was looking into the area I found there is a high crime rate. 

If you live there, where are the nice, affordable areas?  I'm looking at Georgetown, but I'm not sure if that's a good, safe part of the city.  Also, is there a good homeschool community there and is there a lot of crime in your opinion?  Thanks!

Me :-)

The crime in Savannah has really escalated in the last few years. It's a shame, really. We think twice about going into the historic district now, which is just horrible. And we definitely stay away after dark. Waaaay too many shootings. That said, we do still go down there, you just have to use common sense and know what areas to stay out of (which obviously is difficult if you're new to the area).

Georgetown is a better area of Savannah. Savannah is tricky to buy in when you don't know the area. One block will be old historic mansions, and, literally the next block will be run down boarded up homes taken over by squatters. It's weird. So I'd enlist a good realtor if you're set on Savannah proper. You might also expand your search to the outlying areas....Richmond Hill, Pooler, Rincon, Guyton. Pooler is REALLY growing (an outlet mall is opening in a few months and they're building a water park...tons of new development). These areas will put you anywhere from fifteen minutes to maybe forty minutes from the heart of Savannah. Oh, and the islands....a lot of people love living on the islands, like Whitemarsh Island or Tybee Island.

There are a TON Of homeschooling groups here, but mostly all are Christian. There are a few secular groups. But the more established ones are Christian.