Menu

Combining Minimus and Lively Latin?

Allearia

I have purchased Lively Latin and am planning on starting it next week. Today at the library bookstore I found a copy of the Minimus Teacher's Resource Book for sale for $3.50 (it is currently selling at Rainbow Resources for $70!!!). So I am thinking of adding in Minimus. We are in no real hurry as my son is still young. He does read very well and is eager to start Latin.

Has anyone used both of these? Any advice? Or should I just sell the Minimus teacher book?

Thanks for any ideas!

I have purchased Lively Latin and am planning on starting it next week. Today at the library bookstore I found a copy of the Minimus Teacher's Resource Book for sale for $3.50 (it is currently selling at Rainbow Resources for $70!!!). So I am thinking of adding in Minimus. We are in no real hurry as my son is still young. He does read very well and is eager to start Latin.

Has anyone used both of these? Any advice? Or should I just sell the Minimus teacher book?

Thanks for any ideas!

Both Minimus and Lively Latin are wonderful programs. There's no reason you can't use both. Minimus has a reading-based philosophy and LL is more grammar-based. Lots of people combined reading-based and grammar-based curricula to get the best of both worlds. $3.50 is an awesome price!

We are combining these 2 programs, and I am so jealous you only paid $3.50! Wow!

You will need a student book for the Minimus, and the CDs are very helpful. For Minimus, my goal is just exposure to the Latin language. DS listens to the comic book stories (they are short -- we listen to them several times over several days) while following along in his book. We read about the family (very interesting -- based on a real family, with photos of real artifacts). I made flashcards of the Words To Remember.

I can't offer any real advice since we aren't that far into it and I am NOT a Latin expert, but IMO these two programs complement each other nicely. :)