Menu

Chalk Dust after Right Start Math?

swarmie

Hi there.  My dd will soon complete level E of RightStart Math.  I have Dr. Cotter's "Geometric Approach" materials to follow this level.  I understand that Dr. Cotter recommends that students begin VideoText Module A (pre-alegebra) halfway through "Geometric Approach." 

Well...I decided to read some posts on the WTM to glean some more insight into the strengths and weaknesses of VideoText as well as other middle school/high school math programs.  After the reading I've done here and based upon my dd's personality, strengths, and needs, I'm now considering using Chalk Dust to teach pre-algebra, etc. 

For those of you who have used all of Dr. Cotter's Rightstart curricula and have also used Chalk Dust, do you have any suggestions of how I transition my dd to Chalk Dust's pre-algebra?

Do I complete all of Dr. Cotter's Geometric Approach first before starting Chalk Dust or can I/should I start Chalk Dust's pre-algebra halfway through Geometric Approach??

My dd is 10 and in 5th grade.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

We used RS through level E then switched to Chalkdust.  I tried to use the Geometry but we didn't make it very far.  I decided to put my kids in the Basic Math program before PreAlg.   It was a good review and got them used to the textbook method which is very different than RS.   For a student your dc's age, I think doing a combination of Basic Math and the Geometry program would make for a great year.  Then doing PreAlgebra the following year - or mid- year whenever you've finished Basic Math.

Just my 2 cents.  :)