Menu

Focusing more on writing

LabRat

I think I have decided on curriculum for every subject except English/writing. DD will be in 7th grade and does very well with grammar and writing.  I feel like she may be advanced in this area, but I really don't know for sure.  The problem is she is bored with the same ol' English drill. She has a good grasp on grammar, including punctuation and parts of speech.  I'm considering slacking off of the grammar some and concentrating more on writing - perhaps some creative writing.  Do you think this would be a good idea?  Also, I know many of you have a lot of experience with different programs.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

I think I have decided on curriculum for every subject except English/writing. DD will be in 7th grade and does very well with grammar and writing.  I feel like she may be advanced in this area, but I really don't know for sure.  The problem is she is bored with the same ol' English drill. She has a good grasp on grammar, including punctuation and parts of speech.  I'm considering slacking off of the grammar some and concentrating more on writing - perhaps some creative writing.  Do you think this would be a good idea?  Also, I know many of you have a lot of experience with different programs.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

There is more to grammar study than knowing punctuation and basic parts of speech (if that's what you meant?).  "Parts of speech" also includes various types of phrases and clauses, and knowledge of how this all works AND being able to articulate that knowledge while editing is invaluable for good writing (creative or expository).

My pick for grammar study is Rod and Staff.  My pick for expository writing study is The Complete Writer series put out by Peace Hill Press (WWE and WWS).  I also love The Creative Writer, for creative writing, put out by PHP.  I feel that expository writing is necessary for many areas of life and that creative writing is wonderful for those so inclined.