Menu

Distance Programs Which Accommodate Dyslexia

My dd is going into grade 9 next year.  We have been remediating her dyslexia for several years, but of course she still doesn't learn best through reading.  I want to help her to work on this skill to prepare her for college, but I know distance text-based courses will be tough for her.

I am looking for an affordable, preferably accredited distance learning program that makes allowances/accommodations for dyslexics.  The only one I have found so far is Red Oak Academy, but at $300 per month plus the cost of books, I'd like to find a less expensive option.

She is taking a couple of courses at American School this year, and is doing quite well with them.  I am reading the math lessons to her, and she is managing to read the Child Care and Development textbook herself, but there isn't too much challenging vocabulary there.  My concern is with some of the courses her brother is currently taking through AS, such as US History and especially American Lit., which require a lot of flipping through the text searching for answers and comparing/contrasting pieces of literature, which I know will be a major struggle for her.  I would need to read the entire course work myself in order to help her, which I would prefer not to have to do.  Science is a worry as well, with the small print, complex concepts and difficult vocabulary.

Any suggestions/insights would be helpful.