Menu

Partial Enrollment in NC

This is pretty specific, but has anyone attempted to do/done partial enrollment in a NC HS? We're in the CMS district. I've heard of others doing this all over and when I searched it I found forms for Virginia and Florida, but as far as I can see North Carolina just lets the school districts decide. The CMS website has about a billion people's contact info and I don't even know where to begin.

To the best of my knowledge, CharMeck doesn't do any kind of partial enrollment for homeschoolers. Cabarrus started their Homereach program this past year for their online classes through the Performance Learning Center only, and doesn't include extracurriculars like sports, art, or music. We're going to try them for two classes this fall. I believe Iredell Statesville may do something as well, but I'm not sure.

If you have a rising junior or senior, you could access the Career and College Promise program through Central Piedmont (or Rowan Cabarrus, Stanly, or Gaston) Community College.

Thank you for your response :)

I will be looking into taking some classes at CPCC when I can, but atm I'm only in 10th grade. 

NCVPS looks really nice but if you're not a registered public school student then it's $640 for a language course, which is really out of our price range. It'd be nice if NC did as much with this as some other states do.

Agreed! My daughter is a rising 9th grader. I've looked at NCVPS as well. If you want a full virtual school, keep your eyes on NC Connections Academy. They've just been recommended to the charter school board to open as a fully virtual school in fall of 2015 https://www.facebook.com/NorthCarolinaConnectionsAcademy  It's not a done deal yet, and admission would be on the lottery system, but they've passed most of the hurdles. By that point, you would be eligible for CPCC anyway, though, so it may or may not be helpful. Keep an eye on the HINTS bookfair this summer (in Matthews). They don't have their workshop list up yet, but they have had a speaker from the community college about the Career and College Promise program, so you can get some good information there. http://www.hintsonline.org/bookfair.htm 

In the meantime, if you are looking for some free online courses, take a look at a couple of places:

1)  the Virtual Homeschool Group (www.virtualhomeshoolgroup.org and their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/141433042565491/?ref=br_tf). They have some at your own pace classes and will be announcing their new live classes in the middle of the summer. They have a mix of secular and Christian-specific classes. My daughter has done a few courses through them and liked them.

2) Harari College Worldwide--this is something that's new to us, but looks really promising. They have free AP classes, language classes, etc. My daughter will be trying Spanish 2 with them this summer. harari.edu.pl is the website and they have a live chat feature for questions.

Good luck to you!

Late thank you for the comment about Iredell-Statesville schools by the way! I did a bit more looking as I didn't do much searching in that district anyway and found iAcademy which seems awesome and doable for me. I'm not really interested in a full virtual school, I just want to take some classes with the help of a teacher which NCVPS does offer. I'm going to learn Arabic and I definitely can't see myself learning that without the help of a teacher. The other resources also look helpful, thanks so much.