Menu

Math Without Borders Geometry Home Companion

Anyone have success using this curriculum?  Is there actually a lesson being taught via DVD or is it just for extension purposes?  Is there a working link for ordering the Home Study Companion because when I click "purchase" on the MWB website to find out about pricing, I get a faulty link screen.

Thanks,
Melissa

• 3 weeks later...

Just chiming in to agree that the Chakerian/Crabill/Stein geometry textbook is pedagogically speaking a thing of beauty; I've really enjoyed teaching from it. (I haven't used the MWB materials myself, though, so can't speak to that aspect.)  I've taught from the Harold Jacobs book as well (first edition), and also like that very much; it has much more personality (I love the cartoons and the playful approach to the problems!); but the Chakerian et al. book is a very solid choice.  To use educationese for a moment, the "scaffolding of skills" in Geometry: A Guided Inquiry is extremely well-handled, in my opinion.

All three authors taught at UC Davis; Don Chakerian and Sherman Stein were mathematics professors, and Calvin Crabill was a professor in the education faculty.

Hope that helps somebody; there weren't too many past threads about this book when I was first looking at it a couple of years ago, so thought one more person's opinion might add to the archives a little bit!  I believe Janice also used this book and liked it very much.