Menu

Help Starting Math in Focus grade 4

mamamin

Hello! my question is 2 part..first, is a teachers manual NECESSARY for math in focus grade 4? I feel fairly confident teaching 4th grade math concepts but don't want to miss out on something important. Is everything laid out in the textbook?

Second, my DD is currently using math mammoth grade 3. She started homeschooling in second grade and we have used math mammoth both years. She has been just fine with the learning style and is retaining great, However, the only thing she doesn't love about it is the boring pages. She looked through her brothers Math in focus grade 1 textbooks that I just bought and she loved the bright, glossy color pages and the games and such. 

She is doing great with math mammoth so I'm reluctant to switch, but I think she likes the presentation of Math in Focus better. Any advice??

thanks!

We use Math in Focus (5), and the pages are laid out well, being both clean (main points are clearly called out and organized) and colorful.  As for using the TM, if you're comfortable with all the material, the one thing you may want to do is go to their website and sample the TM (it's all there online), and check which lessons are spread out over multiple days.  Otherwise you will be deep in a lesson and wondering why on earth it's so long and involved--- because it was supposed to be spread out over 3 days!  Look at the tab/section for Book (A/B) Lessons- it's the overall lesson plan and says which ones are supposed to be multiple days.  In the TM itself, the lessons pages show where the break points are on the first introductory page to the lesson (5.3 for example- day 1 is pg x-y, day 2 is page z and workbook m).