Menu

Oldie/Newbie - Intro

Guest nicolerae

Guest nicolerae

Hi all,

My name is Nikki and I feel very odd about being back here. I used to post here quite often, several years ago. I homeschooled both of my kids, one is now 22, while the other is 17 and is finishing up her senior year in public school. I swore by the philosphy of Charlotte Mason and my Well-Trained Mind book was bookmarked and underlined and falling apart by the time I was done. I even went through the fiction section of The Well-Educated Mind with a friend, which was the best education I never received in public school. We started to go through the drama section, but then life happened and it fell to the wayside. 

I do feel a bit weird posting here after all this time, but I am looking for feedback and am hoping that this community that I loved and learned so much from over the years might help me out. I am a photographer and I have a passion for art and getting other people excited about art. I am going to be offering online classes for both beginning photography and art appreciation for homeschoolers as well as any adults who are interested and I have a few questions that I thought maybe some of you could answer if you have the time.

1) Is art an important subject for you and your children, or is this something that gets lost in the shuffle?

2) When it comes to teaching the arts, what is your biggest struggle?

3) Have you enrolled your children in any online classes? If so, what were the things you liked? What were the things you didn't like?

4) With photography being such a popular hobby these days (and with most people owning a camera of one sort or another), is this a topic that you or your children would be interested in learning more about?

If any of you take the time to answer these, thank you in advance. I know this is a place for you all to gather to find support and community and I don't want to be disruptive or spammy in any way. I am purposely leaving any links off of here hoping it will help you see that I am sincerely looking for some honest feedback.  :001_smile:

Nikki