Menu

Facial Exercises ~ Yay or Nay?

Negin

On another forum, there was a thread for the best tips for aging gracefully. Someone raved about Facial Exercises. She said that as she has hit her mid-40's, she has seen changes. "Try this, it works. No botox, no skin peeling, no surgery. And if u do it regularly your skin glows, glows, glows from all the refreshed circulation from the workouts. You need to be consistent tho. I do it whenever I am alone in the room, in the bathroom, etc."

She recommended this video and this one

A few on the forum said that the exercises have done wonders for the jaw and neck. 

Since reading about this, I've been going back and forth. I was an esthetician many years ago and I remember them telling us that facial exercises and the exaggerated expressions will increase and exacerbate the chance of wrinkles - think of the lines around the mouth that smokers get from constantly puckering up. So then I emailed Paula's Choice - love their books and products and they emailed me back right away with this:

If you do facial exercises to reduce the appearance of wrinkles imagining that you’re building up the muscles underneath you would only be making matters worse. Repetitive facial movements such as smiling, frowning, and raising your eyebrows actually lead to more fine lines and wrinkles in those areas. Each time we use a facial muscle, a groove forms beneath the surface of the skin, which is why we see lines form with each facial expression. As skin ages and loses its elasticity and collagen content, the skin stops springing back to its line-free state, and these grooves become permanently etched on the face. Botox works because it paralyzes muscle movement where it is injected, preventing these creases from taking place.

Has anyone had experience or known someone to do facial exercises on a regular basis? What are your thoughts? 

ETA: I have nothing against wrinkles and aging. I think crow's feet/smile lines are actually beautiful. The only wrinkles I'm not particularly in love with are frown lines. I also don't love having a slack jawline, etc. I don't think I would ever do Botox/surgery, etc. Not me at all.