Menu

Gift ideas needed for naturalists!

I spent this summer mentoring two young naturalist interns at our local state park. They will be leaving in a couple weeks and i want to give them some kind of gift that's thoughtful and practical to let them know how much I enjoyed working with them. I'm thinking about $10 or so each.

I'd get bird id. books or something, but both have been going to school for natural resources and probably have that kind of thing already?

One I know has a canoe and needs a new paddle. I thought about buying a paddle at Wal-Mart and woodburning a bison, deer or bird or something from our area as a keepsake.

I thought about making the other one a walking stick and woodburing animal tracks on a shaved side. But I also thought about a hand held pocket illuminated microscope. He really enjoyed doing programs on aquatic insects this summer and a pocket scope might be a neat thing to give him. They are $12 at Radio Shack.

Maybe they'd both like the pocket microscope?

Any other ideas out there?? I really want them to like what I give them and I don't know whether to get them the same things or different or what.

Could you take a picture of the park that you all worked at and frame it for them? Maybe a sunset if you want it to be symbolic?

Cheesy in the short run but very meaningful in the long run, especially if they are facing a long winter indoors. :eek:

Could you take a picture of the park that you all worked at and frame it for them? Maybe a sunset if you want it to be symbolic?

QUOTE]

Oooooh, yeah! That was another thought I had. So many ideas! They both have really enjoyed the prairie aspect of our state park. Thanks for reminding me!