Menu

Driving through Colorado ... help with location of fires please

MyLittleWonders

I've been trying to read about the fires burning in Colorado, but I have never been there so other than the mention of specific cities, I'm not sure if we will have any potential problems driving through. We are coming in on the 70 through Grand Junction, driving to Denver, and then will take the 76 to the Colorado/Nebraska border. Can anyone let me know if we are looking at potential problems in relation to current fires (not just traffic wise, but also are anything close enough to be a health-risk for those with environmental allergies)? Thanks! :)

You should be fine. Most of the fires near the 70 are around 95% contained. The most recent outbreak of fires in more in southern Colorado, well south of where you will be driving.

The air is mostly smoke free through that corridor as well. The traffic should be moving just fine, not road closures. Allergies are a bit of a concern. There is still a tad bit of ash around, which may bother you if you are allergic to trees. The very dry prairie grass (normal in CO) is what is setting most people off currently.

Here is a good map of the fires and containment percentages:

Colorado Fire Maps