Menu

Anyone have a todller that went back to two naps (after months of only one?)

Peplophoros

These days my 17 month old is a nightmare almost all day because he's exhausted. He sleeps like an angel at night (6:30-6:00), but he needs a nap around 11. The problem is he will NOT sleep for more than 30 min. This has been going on for at least a month (before that he'd take one nap for 1-1.5 hours, which seemed to be enough for him). I've tried earlier times, I've tried later times, but after weeks of experimenting, still only 30 minutes' sleep. He has a dark room, noise machine, and no one in this house dares wake up that baby.

So, after just a 30 min. and wakes up absolutely miserable and screams for at least 30-40 minutes before I can calm him down. Today he needed a nap (desperately) at 10:30, and again, only 30 min. Miserable. I just now put him down at 2:15 and he seems to be sleeping again.

Anyone do two naps for this age? All my other kids were down to one (and he seemed to be, too) by 15 months at the latest.

Gloria

My second son took two naps forever...well, until he was 22 months, so almost forever.

He wakes around 7am (bedtime around 7:30pm) and would go back down for a nap around 9:30 or 10. I would wake him if he slept more than 45ish minutes. Then he would be ready for a longer afternoon nap around 2pm.

Everyone kept saying that it was time for him to drop the morning nap, but he just wasn't ready. He did fine skipping it occasionally, but by the second or third day in a row of only one nap he was an overtired basket case and he would have a hard time falling and staying asleep.

There were clearly pluses and minuses to the two nap schedule. It was annoying not to have a large chunk of nap-free time to run errands or attend activities, but it was great to have his nap line up with his older brother's so I had a chunk of down time in the afternoon.

Wendy

Dd6 had two 2-hour naps beyond age 2.

My first thought is, "Is he going through a growth spurt?" It's a lot of work to grow! Simply exhausting!

With him waking up upset:

Is he afraid when he wakes up alone? Temporarily, would he be better off sleeping on the couch in the livingroom for this mini-nap?