Menu

Re-evaluating for next year, need feedback/encouragement.

Hi,

I have three boys, 10, 8 and 5. I use a combo of My Father's World, WTM-inspired language arts curricula and subjects (i.e., First Language Lessons, Writing With Ease, Latin, etc.), and Singapore Math.

As I come to the end of this year, our fourth year of homeschooling, I am feeling TIRED. Nearly although not quite to the point of thinking, "The boys might be better off in public school!" So, to help bring me back from the edge of the cliff, I would love to hear what has worked for those of you with elementary/early middle school kids, boys in particular. If you're willing to share, I'd love to get a sense of how long school takes for you and what your schedule is like. One of my biggest struggles this year has been feeling as though our school experience is not instilling a love for learning, as I had hoped to instill when we began this journey, but is reflecting more of a "let's just get the work done!" ethos that perhaps is necessary to some extent, but that has taken the joy out for me, certainly...and probably for my kids, too, I imagine. I am hounded by a feeling that we are not doing enough, and yet I cannot figure out how to do more. I look at the impending Common Core standards, which I know are being criticized for not being rigorous enough, and yet my head spins wondering if my kids could even meet those yearly goals!

So I would love some input and insights into some of the questions I've mentioned above. Thanks in advance for any advice you might have!

Best,

Helen

I found the more movement I incorporated, the better our day went. In 4th we used...

MUS - along with Math Chef, I Hate Mathematics, pick up sticks, Sorry, etc. Monday was always build it day wit the MUS blocks, Tues-Wed weaning from them, Thurs test day, and Friday he got to teach me while I played stupid and then we'd do something fun.

Noeo biology II - it's written to be slightly dry. We made sure we used the internet links, took the lessons outside, and incorporated them into art.

Writing Strands- total bust.

SoTW - I presented the activity first, had him start working, and then told the story orally as we went along. Next day was map, him reading the book, timelining, then a second activity (if we could) + You Wouldn't Want To Be book..mixing it up made it more attractive.

Literature - themed units. I had started hitting on something here and didn't realize it. Instead of reading aloud, my kid did better when he was immersed. We took beef jerky, water, and biscuits to the top of a cliff overlooking the fishing bay to read Treasure Island, or sat in front of the open fridge to read Mr. Popper's Penguins. I eventually expanded this idea to incorporate toys into the literature - making spy glasses and learning astronomy while reading Carry On, Mr. Bowditch, for example. And we gathered up several skill books to add in to our collection so that we had them as we went along.

School used to take us about 5-6 hours. But it was FULL. Every 15 minute sit down lesson was matched by at least 15 minutes of activity. Lots of "field trips" - sometimes to nothing other than our backyard. Big focus on adding a skill to his daily life that he could hone and use for enjoyment (everything from a Microsoft class to whittling).

I used to look at curriculum and groan, because it always seemed like it was meant for children who sat quietly, did what they were told, and just wanted to follow an example. That was not my kid. Every inch had to be reworked. I had to ask myself "how can I present this in a different way?" Eventually, our shelves started getting crowded more with the 'extras' than with the actual curriculum: 4 books for physics.....and two tubs, a giant science kit, and most of the Disney Imagineering dvds.

We have found better over time. Moving Beyond The Page makes delicious lit units. Intellego worked well. Mr. Q was fun. A picture book of diagramming sentences, of all things, made its way into our day. But there has been absolutely nothing we have used completely as intended.