Menu

WWS and MLA format?

I am confused about something & I hope that someone can straighten me out :)

The Instructor Text for WWS1 tells me that the students will be taught MLA format, but I see things in the text that disagree with my 7th edition MLA Handbook. To the best of my knowledge, my edition is the latest edition.

For example, WWS tells the student not to use postal code abbreviations for the states. Instead, the student is given a list of "standard abbreviations" to use: Va., Calif, etc.

Section 7.3 of MLA calls for the postal code abbreviations: VA, CA, etc.

As a second example, MLA format calls for a Works Cited entry to note the Medium of Publication(Print, Web, etc.) after the date of publication. But the sample entry in WWS is completed with the date of publication.

Am I misunderstanding and/or misreading something?

Sweet Home Alabama, thanks for the link to your thread. Interesting read. I did a search before I made that post, but I didn't find anything - not sure why not :huh: . Actually, I had even asked the question some time ago in the top "Answering Questions about WWS" thread, but the question was not picked up.

If the Instructor's Manual would not have indicated that we were teaching MLA style, I would have just assumed that WWS was teaching a different style or a hybrid style.

We will stick with pure MLA style.