Menu

DIY.org update

Earlier this year, I saw posts in various threads which recommended DIY.org and I got the impression that several forum members had their kids sign up around that time. I'm interested in hearing what people think about it after having their kids use the site for a while.

Are they still enjoying it?

How much do they use it?

If you're willing to share, roughly how many projects have they done and/or how many skills have they earned?

Do you need to push your kids to spend time on it, do they maintain a good balance by themselves or do you have to limit their time spent on the website or on activities related to it?

Do you think they're learning much from using it?

Would you still recommend it to new users?

Do you have any concerns about the impact it has on your kids' attitudes?

For those who enrolled their kids on the basis of the comparisons made to Scouts in some of the earlier posts, how do you think it compares to Scouting and similar programs?

Many thanks,

Alex.

My boys have fun with it, but they go in spurts. My oldest, especially, will use it the most, but if you averaged how much time he spends on it, it'd probably be less than an hour every week or two. It's not mandatory, and they do not have free access to media in the first place (iPads/computers/etc). So, when they have some free time, they will go and watch videos of experiments, sometimes get inspired to do something, and then upload it. I think ds11 has about 12 things uploaded in a variety of skills. He has earned a couple badges for doing at least three per skill. Yesterday ds11 spent some time responding to some comments he had received since the last time he was on there. For us, it's just a fun site/app that occasionally gives them ideas for fun "experiments"/activities they can do on their own and share. But, overall, it's just fun and extra around here; it is definitely not part of our curriculum or structured school day. And yes, I would (and have) recommend it to others.