Menu

How can genetically modified food lead to gluten intolerance?

Guest Matti

How can Genetically Modified Food Lead to Gluten Intolerance?

Genetically modified (GM) food regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has been linked to a number of health problems in recent years including food sensitivities. Gluten intolerance is a relatively new, yet widespread food sensitivity thought to be caused by genetically modifying wheat. Genetically modified food is a controversial issue in the U.S. right now as current research is indicating that it could be causing many health problems, new allergies, and diseases. Some people don’t believe that genetically modified food is the main reason for so many health and nutrition problems today. Some may disagree, but I believe that genetically modified food is the cause of a major rise in gluten intolerance in the U.S.

A gluten intolerance is different from a gluten allergy. An allergy is an IgE immune response of the body where the response can be evident within moments of exposure to the allergen. Marlene Merritt states that the word "intolerance" refers to a different part of the immune reaction (IgG immune response), and it can often be hours or days before the reaction occurs. Genetically modified foods are foods made of genetically modified organisms (GMO). GMOs are organisms that have a genetic makeup change to grow better, taste different, or be resistant to particular chemicals. Gluten is the protein or “glue†that makes dough easy to work with. One of the reasons why gluten intolerance is a growing problem now in modern life is because the wheat we have now is way different than the wheat from Biblical times. The wheat that we have now is called Dwarf Wheat which has been genetically bred to contain 4 times more gluten than we had 50 years ago and twice as many chromosomes.

The number of people with gluten intolerance continues to rise. About 40% of the U.S. population suffers from varying degrees of gluten intolerance. Many people believe that GMOs have caused this major rise in gluten intolerance. In her article, Jane Anderson says, “Still, quite reasonably, those who already have been diagnosed want to know what it means for their future health. Unfortunately, the answer is, "We don't know yet." More and more people are moving toward gluten free diets as evidence by the huge number of gluten free products in our grocery stores as well as gluten free menus at restaurants. Gluten free diets can help many people who experience problems from gluten sensitivity ranging from stomach pains to skin problems and even mood disorders such as depression and anxiety. Autism in children has even been linked to gluten sensitivities. Since a gluten free diet eliminates wheat and grains, it also eliminates a bulk of GM foods. A gluten free diet can reduce dietary exposures to toxins and eliminate many harmful chemicals. It improves balance in the body and reduces joint and muscle pain. It can even help stop diabetes and obesity.

Being gluten intolerant is not fun, and I know because I am sensitive to gluten. In fact, my entire family is on a gluten free diet because my brother had a chronic cough for almost a year. After multiple doctor appointments, medical tests, and trial runs with different drugs, my mother decided to take him to a naturopath. They tested him for food allergies and suggested putting him on a gluten free diet. Within a couple of days of being gluten free, his cough completely went away. Based on my family’s personal experience with various health issues clearing up after giving up gluten in our diet, it is hard to believe that gluten wasn’t the cause.

I do believe that genetically modified food has a connection with the major rise in gluten intolerances because of the many facts I found. GM foods are very harmful and not natural, therefore causing more health problems in many people. Some people think that GM food is healthier and safer, but I can’t imagine how something man made could ever be better for us than what God made for us. Now, since the overall population eats genetically modified food, it is leading to so many issues, and there is very little we can do about it. The government (FDA) is influencing the food supply in the United States. What could happen next if gluten intolerances as well as other health problems due to GM foods continue to rise?

Works Cited:

"TheUnitedStatesOfAmericaIsLyingToYou." TheUnitedStatesOfAmericaIsLyingToYou. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Feb. 2013. <http://theusaislyingtoyou.wordpress.com/2012/12/18/the-man-made-gluten-intolerance-almost-secret-epidemic-conspiracy/>.

"Gluten Intolerance: Is It A Fad?" Gluten Intolerance: Is It A Fad? N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Feb. 2013. <http://www.acupuncturetoday.com/mpacms/at/article.php?id=32696>

"Are Genetically Modified Foods to Blame for Increase in Gluten Sensitivity? - Palm Beach Integrative Medicine." Palm Beach Integrative Medicine. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Feb. 2013. <http://www.pbimedicine.com/3/post/2013/01/are-genetically-modified-foods-to-blame-for-increase-in-gluten-sensitivity.html>

"Looking Beyond Gluten - Genetically Modified Foods." Gluten Free Society. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Feb. 2013. <http://www.glutenfreesociety.org/gluten-free-society-blog/looking-beyond-gluten-genetically-modified-foods/>

"Gluten Sensitivity Health Risks and Links to Other Conditions." About.com Celiac Disease & Gluten Sensitivity. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Feb. 2013. <http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/glutenintolerance/a/Gluten-Sensitivity-Health-Risks.htm>.