Menu

copywork questions

holdinon

I started, then dropped the ball, with copywork for my oldest dd. I would like to do better with younger dc.

Here are my questions....

1--I am assuming that copywork is to wait until the child writes well (can comfortably form the actual letters). So, once the copywork begins, do you drop the "handwriting", or are you doing handwriting AND copywork?

2--Are you having dc copy directly from the passage in the book or are you copying it yourself onto handwriting paper and then having them copy what you wrote?

3-- I don't know how to put this one into a question....The reason we gave up copywork with my oldest is that no matter how simple/short of a passage I chose, she ALWAYS made mistakes--LOTS--even with words she could spell on her own---it did not matter if she took her time or if she rushed through. She didn't mind doing the copywork, and works diligently on all of her school work, so it was not a lazy/attitude problem (At least it certainly didn't appear to be).

I started out letting her do it on her own, as her handwriting was very good, and I didn't foresee any problems...... Then I began sitting with her and watching...I'd stop her at every mistake....this went on forever (or at least it seemed like forever--it was probably 3-4 weeks--I "think" we were doing it twice a week).

This was a child who could write very easily. She would make up and write short stories, with near perfect grammar/spelling/punctuation. We went on to dictation and she did much better than when she was actually copying something.

I never have figured out what the problem was....did I just not give enough time, but she went to dictation with no problem (we actually never did any narration either:blushing:)

But I really believe the copywork "philosophy" and want to do better with the youngers, so I am looking for some direction.....

Thanks!

1--I am assuming that copywork is to wait until the child writes well (can comfortably form the actual letters). So, once the copywork begins, do you drop the "handwriting", or are you doing handwriting AND copywork?

I use copywork as an integral part of manuscript and cursive learning. Once proper direction is learned, they trace and then copy. My now-5th grader continues to work on his cursive by doing copywork. (Of course, it has other benefits too!)

2--Are you having dc copy directly from the passage in the book or are you copying it yourself onto handwriting paper and then having them copy what you wrote?

When my kids are younger, they have always done better if I copy the passage onto a piece of notebook paper and they copy below. I still plan to do this for my 5th grader; he's young, and that's just the kind of kid he is. It has the added advantage that you can make the letters the way you want your children to write them...

3-- I don't know how to put this one into a question....

It sounds like you made the right decision for this child. You said that she is a very capable writer, not lazy, does well with grammar/spelling/punc. So why torture either one of you?! And she progressed to dictation, perfect. You know your kids better than anyone else, and you know that it's always good to make things right for them!

Just my own thoughts!

I am currently (and strongly) considering WWE. I have looked at it on the PHP website, and now I am going through the HUGE thread on this forum:-)

It does look like something we may do, but I had already laid out (and bought) all of my "stuff" for next(this) year, and, when I did, I *promised* myself I wasn't going to look at ANYTHING else!!! (I have a bad habit of falling prey to "the grass is greener" sydrome, second guessing myself, and then purchasing tons of stuff to replace the "once thought perfect" stuff I already had:-}