Menu

Spelling City

Emagine

Does your child/ren like this? Does it engage and they learn or is it busy work?

I am looking for something to add to AAS. Like the other OP, we have hit that snag. I still believe in the program but need to change it up a little.

I am debating buying the membership for S.City.

I have used Spelling City to supplement AAS. My opinion....if you just let them play the games.....it helps a little.

But....here is what I did:

I entered all of the word lists and organized them by step.

Each day he had to take a test first. After he had taken the test, he could play the games....if he wanted to. But, the requirement was the daily test. The games were his reward.

In order for him to progress to the next step of test....he had to get 100% two days in a row. (Similar to Phonetic Zoo)

I didn't match up the lessons I was teaching him with the tests he did on Spelling City....I just made them two different things. The Spelling City was a great way to review.

Hope that helps.

Jennifer

Guest schroederpage

I have been using Spelling City in my classroom for 5 years and my kiddos love it. It is one of my student's favorite activities. I do mix up our spelling practice and their home work practice with hands on and more traditional methods. I love that I can level the list and mix in science vocabulary. We use the games as a review after we introduce the words. I also flip back and forth with paper and pencil and online spelling tests in our computer lab. With standardized testing coming for schools online I think it is really important for students to be able to use an online format for testing and Spelling City makes it easy. I also can track their progress in the Teacher Resource section. With anything it is what you make it. Spelling City is a fantastic resource in my classroom.

Monica