Menu

Anyone use Prentice Hall Literature in high school?

Tell me you thoughts about American Literature and British Literature! Is it rigorous, is it tedious, and does it include entire stories or just snippets of varied passages? Is it for the advanced student or the average student? Is planning difficult? Also, what supplements do you feel are essential? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Clare

Hi Clare,

I haven't used either the American or British LIterature books from Prentice Hall. I do own a copy of Scott Foresman's The United States in Literature: America Reads . This is the same book that is used by Scholar's Online.

Sorry, I'm not much help. However there is a table of contents here for Prentice Hall's books if you go to this link:

http://www.phschool.com/atschool/literature/american_7e/Student_Area/LIT11_7e_S_BK_index.html'>http://www.phschool.com/atschool/literature/american_7e/Student_Area/LIT11_7e_S_BK_index.html'>http://www.phschool.com/atschool/literature/american_7e/Student_Area/LIT11_7e_S_BK_index.html'>http://www.phschool.com/atschool/literature/american_7e/Student_Area/LIT11_7e_S_BK_index.html

http://www.phschool.com/atschool/literature/american_7e/Student_Area/LIT11_7e_S_BK_index.html .

It looks like there are snippets of big works, but the combination of different genres look good. I haven't a foggiest of how the questions and answer sections are set up. Newer books do tend to be "politically correct" if that makes any difference or not. I find many "touchy - feely" kind of questions in most of these textbooks.

FWIW,

Clare, I own and have used Prentice Hall's American and British texts, along with their World Lit. PH has some of the best lit textbooks out there, imo. They can't be beat, esp for a mom short on time for choosing works and evaluating learning.

Is it rigorous, is it tedious, and does it include entire stories or just snippets of varied passages?

>>>The study questions are a mixed variety, including a nice portion of them which are thought-provoking and can be used for essays. These are anthologies and as such, you'll see excerpts of large works with a sprinkling of entire shorter works .

Is it for the advanced student or the average student? Is planning difficult?

>>>They work well for both average and advanced students. Planning? That's the beauty of these texts. There is no planning. It's all organized for you in both the student and TE.

Also, what supplements do you feel are essential?

>>>Truthfully? None. If this is all you have time for PH lit will adequately carry your dc through high school.

When my two kids began high school we were preparing for a huge 1,000 mile cross-country move. [Ask me if I had a lot of teaching time.] I made use of short-cuts where ever I could. Oldest dd never cared much for anthologies, preferring entire works instead but she used PH when we needed to shave off time. This fall, she'll be starting her 2nd year of college. She's in a private school on scholarship, Dean's List and Honors Program... recently declaring a major in Poli-Sci and considering a minor in Art History.

Guess what she's doing on her own this summer besides working part-time? She is reading unabridged classics that she didn't have time to read in high school. Yes, they need to learn things in high school but don't discount time spent teaching them to possess a love of learning because they'll be able to draw from it all through their lives.

Oh, and Prentice Hall texts are secular, of course, so you won't see much Christian influence in them. If that bothers you consider this--- Unless your dc attends a Christian college, they won't be using Christian material at all during their college years. My theory was: Better that my high schoolers practice on secular material at home with Professor Mom;). If you already prefer secular, then it's not a problem. I'd give PH two thumbs up :thumbup:.

Very insightful and encouraging! Still on the fence about the teacher edition as I have two younger girls who will be requiring more of my attention....I am spreading myself very thin and have yet to figure out how to successfully meet the needs of 4 kiddos at one time!

Clare

Clare,

Check around your local area and on used book sites. I purchased most of my PH student and TE from a local homeschool store that received them free of charge from public schools and then they sold them dirt cheap to homeschoolers.

Having the TE would save you time because it contains the answers to the study questions that are in the student text.